Lotion Bar Help

lovebug7480

Hey everyone, I was hoping that someone had a possible solution or idea for my problem. I have been making lotion bars and have used different recipes and have come up with the best one. Now, my problem is this...I cannot for the life of me find a mold that it will come out of. I have tried muffin tins, they don't come out and when I put them into the freezer to try and get them out, they either crack or split. I have tried tupperware and it does the same thing. What do you guys use so they come out nice and professional looking???? TIA so much!

What are you using for colorant? Do you mind sharing the recipe so I can see what might be holding you up? What size bars are you making? Are you using EO or FO?

I make mine in muffin tins and they come out perfectly butttttt when I first started making them I ran into tons of problems and one of them was the colorant, when I started using the jojoba spheres they got tons better, and then I had to deal with the beeswax, if you do not have enough beeswax in your recipe you will have a very soft bar that does not want to give, even if you put in the fridge.

Another culprit can be using EO, you really have to adjust the amount of EO in the bars or they stay to soft. You cannot use much EO at all.

So your recipe my be great but just need a few tweaks if you want to be able to make bars instead of tubes.

My lotion bars sell like crazy at shows and on my website, they are one of my most popular items, and people say they love the ones in the bar form. I don't know what I would do without them.

Michelle

IMO, the push-up tubes do not sell as well. I honestly don't know why, they are really more convenient.

All the shows I do their is always at least 1 other soaper who has the push-ups and they are lucky to sell a dozen of them. I, on the other hand, sell at least several hundred. Also, I did alot of research on ebay before I started selling in that venue and the people doing the tubes never sold their lotion bars whereas there were always people buying the bars. I sell a lot of them on ebay as well, and have tons of repeat business.

But, you have to try what works for you. Here is the recipe I use:

This makes 3 1oz bars but, I of course make a lot larger batches:

1 oz beeswax

1/2 oz shea butter

1/2 oz cocoa butter

1 oz of your favorite oil such as sweet almond, safflower etc

1 1/2 tsp. FO or less if the fragrance is strong, if using EO use alot less, but you will have to experiment

Then for color I use jojoba spheres, they melt into the lotion bars and make a great color, it only takes a little of color for this batch, but you have to add to your liking,

I melt the beeswax, butters, oil and jojoba spheres together in microwave, then take out add the fo once they have cooled just a bit, but not to much as not to start solidifying.

I put my muffin tin on scale and zero out, then weight 1 oz into each tin, let cool and put in 2 oz tins from WSP (I use the regular size muffiin tins)

Hope this helps, I get my spheres at Natures Garden, they have a sampler pack of colors that is great and you can mix colors to make new ones

Michelle

see now , I cannot keep lotion bars in the tubes.. they sell out faster than anything I sell... but I have never made it in bars... now i am wondering if i could increase my sales by offering bars.. and of course.. i am all for making things more affordable for myself and customers.

Michelle, have you ever had any problems with any fragrance oils reacting to the metal and discoloring? The first body butter I made was just shea, oils, cornstarch, and fragrance (no water) and after a few months, I had a rust-colored ring around the edges. Since this, I've shyed away from using b&b stuff in tins; do you line the tins with anything, or seal them in any way? Thanks.

I have only had trouble with whipped butters that had a lot of vanilla in them so I now use low profile jars for my butters. I do not line the lotion bar tins or seal them with anything and have not had any problems with them but I don make sure I use the ones like WSP I think they are the better of the ones I have tried.

Michelle