Darwin's Basic Soap Recipe

Darwin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made this recipe a few weeks ago. No subs, followed the recipe to a T! Poured into MC slab molds. When I cut, less than 24 hours later, the edges of the soap were crumbly. Today I was planing them and beveling them and uber crumbly. Chunks were breaking off left and right. Anyone else have this problem? It did bubble up well.

Donna

• 1 month later...

I did some figuring with the soap calc and put in 15% lard and cut shea to 5%

the numbers are nearly the same

Has anyone tried this or have any advise as to using less shea to cut cost and adding lard?

Also for those of you that have used this soap. is this a hard bar and does it last more than a week in the shower?

Thanks for your help

]Kathy :yay:

I made this recipe a few weeks ago. No subs, followed the recipe to a T! Poured into MC slab molds. When I cut, less than 24 hours later, the edges of the soap were crumbly. Today I was planing them and beveling them and uber crumbly. Chunks were breaking off left and right. Anyone else have this problem? It did bubble up well.

Donna

The same happened to me to 1 batch and it was because I couldnt wait for the oils/butters to cool down to less than 100 degrees, and the batch was wasted because it crumbled up.

I now do it making SURE that my oils/butters are 95 degrees.

The same happened to me to 1 batch and it was because I couldnt wait for the oils/butters to cool down to less than 100 degrees, and the batch was wasted because it crumbled up.

I now do it making SURE that my oils/butters are 95 degrees.

Well, I RTCP...so my oils were about 80 degrees. I use ice for part of my lye water, so my lye water was chilled. Both batches were crumbly.

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, newbie CP'er here. I just read through this complete thread and I see people talking about waiting for their oils to get to 80 degrees. Is this common? I was under the impression that the oils should be at around 100 - 110 degrees and same for lye. Am I wrong? Or are there dependencies?

I wanna try this recipe but want to do it right! TIA.

• 1 month later...
I have only used this to make HP!

Put in soap calc...

10% Castor Oil

20% Coconut Oil

30% Palm Kernel Oil

20% Shea Butter

20% Grapeseed Oil

I know wildangel112 as tried this recipe and liked it. Hopefully she will see this thread and post something!

If you are in my HP Swap, the soaps I did for that are made with this recipe.[/quote

Are you superfatting this at 5%? Also need to know if you have probs with dos with grapeseed at 20 %, was thinking of subbing it for something I have on hand but is still in same proporties.

One last thing As I am doing hp, would I discount water/lye at 38%?

• 1 month later...

I made this yesterday (2nd CP patch ever) and it's turned out wonderful. I subbed sunflower oil for the grapeseed which I didn't have, but otherwise followed exactly. It didn't gel for me even though I did insulate well, but I still have pretty hard bars already. I can't wait until I can use it.

Thank you for sharing this! :cheesy2:

• 4 weeks later...
Run both formulas and then write down the resulting numbers (second column = combined). Then click the tab that says soap qualities and you can read about interpreting the numbers.

HTH

May I please have the link to this soap calculator? Thank you :)