Darwin

I have only used this to make HP!

Put in soap calc...

10% Castor Oil

20% Coconut Oil

30% Palm Kernel Oil

20% Shea Butter

20% Grapeseed Oil

I know wildangel112 as tried this recipe and liked it. Hopefully she will see this thread and post something!

If you are in my HP Swap, the soaps I did for that are made with this recipe.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for posting this, as soon as my grapeseed comes in Im making it! Wish they would hurry!

You are welcome. I'd love to see pics of the bars if anyone tried this recipe. I have never done CP so if anyone does it CP I would be curious to know how it turned out.

Yep, I can definitely vouch for this recipe. It makes one awesome bar of soap. I used a mix of Tri-State's Jasmine w/ AGE's Calendula and came out with one heavenly batch. :D

Rena, was it drying at all? Think I'm gonna give it a try but I like a heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

Could cocoa butter be subbed for shea? I put in the soap calc using cocoa butter. How much does this make I'm not sure the mold I have will hold this much? Is there a way to determine how much the mold will hold? lol

It's volume X 0.4. So for a square or rectangle it's length X width X desired height X 0.4. This will give you the ounces of oils to make a batch that size.

You can sub anything for anything, as long as you run it through soapcalc! I did both and they seem very similar. You have palm kernel oil?

Could cocoa butter be subbed for shea? I put in the soap calc using cocoa butter. How much does this make I'm not sure the mold I have will hold this much? Is there a way to determine how much the mold will hold? lol

When you put it in the saop calc you can make it for how ever big of a batch that you want. I usually just do 1 or 2 lb batches. I suppose you can use cocoa butter, but put it in the soap calc first to make sure that it will still be a good bar.

This is an amazing formula! I was hesitant because it shows up as somewhat cleansing in soapcalc, and formulas that do usually dry my skin. But Darwin, my dear, THIS ONE DOES NOT DRY MY SKIN! Great to have a reasonable, simple formula I can work with!

This is an amazing formula! I was hesitant because it shows up as somewhat cleansing in soapcalc, and formulas that do usually dry my skin. But Darwin, my dear, THIS ONE DOES NOT DRY MY SKIN! Great to have a reasonable, simple formula I can work with!

Glad to hear it! Did you do it HP or CP?

It was really easy to soap. The addition of the milks sped things up but they all were very well behaved. I poured at med trace and all went smoothly.

So you do HP? CP is much simpler in my mind - no cooking. I just mix, whirr, and pour basically. The only time I am running into trouble is when I swirl cause if I turn my back on the batch for a sec to mix in the colors, the base part tends to get ahead of me. But I think that's a matter of practice once I figure out what basic recipes I want to work with.

Note: I didn't use any FOs with these though, cause I was testing additives.

I have never done CP; I do not have the patience to wait for it to cure. I like my HP where when it it is done cooking and cooling I can use a hunk of it right away...no waiting...and no zap test. LOL. Is it hard to belive that I have never made CP?

Did you use refined or unrefined shea? I'm wondering about the smell coming through if I use the unrefined. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I've put it on my list to try LOL it's a long list and I just tried my first batch yesterday. My own recipe...turned out good so far. Anyway thanks for your help!