Apple Jack & Peel Experiment with Fisher Trop

DanaE

Eugenia and I have been messaging back and forth about some additives to fix the bulge problem in the mottling and straight waxes.

The first picture is a rustic using 4045H, 1/2 teaspoon vybar 103, 1/2 teaspoon Fisher Trop (because 1 teaspoon made a really ugly candle), and 3 T stearic. These came out much better than the first ugly purple ones.

DanaE (edited to add - I shrinkwrap all of my candles immediately. I always feel like it helps them cure better. So these are testers but shrinkwrapped to cure).

post-296-139458378178_thumb.jpg

Did this fix the bulge problem? I use 4045H a lot and only have a bulge in my chunkies when they have burned way down. (sometimes) I am only using 1 T steric. Yesterday I increased it to 2. I am avoiding the other chemicals because I don't want the gem like colors to become creamy and lighter. The clear crystals interfere with my "crackle" finish too. I was using vybar 343 until I had a problem with my mottles leaking....someone on this board said she didn't like the 343 because it wasn't predictable. You would think I would have this down by now. :angry2:

I don't know if the bulge problem is fixed yet or not. Still burning them. I had no bulge at all on the purple candle made with 1 teaspoon of Fisher Trop instead of 1/2 teaspoon, and 1/2 teaspoon of vybar 103, but it was so darn ugly that I decided to back off on the FT.

Once I've burned them for several days I can figure out if the bulge will go away. As for stearic, when I first started making mottles I didn't use any stearic for the first 2 cases. I think it's essential for rustics, but probably not so much so for mottles.

DanaE

I had no bulge at all on the purple candle made with 1 teaspoon of Fisher Trop instead of 1/2 teaspoon, and 1/2 teaspoon of vybar 103, but it was so darn ugly that I decided to back off on the FT.DanaE

In what way do you think the FT made the candle so fugly?

It was my understanding that curing was only for scent throw. Will sealing it up and curing help make it harder too? I may have to try that. I would love to see one without the wrap and be able to tell what kind of finish it has. Did it come out smooth like the mango?

Yep, that's a bulge. And then, if you aren't paying attention and don't hug the pillar, one side will begin to slowly bend down, until the wax inside is flowing over the bent down bulge like a waterfall. Rather neat effect but not something I really want to happen.

I always like to cure my candles a little before burning. It's just an anal thing. I might as well check for scent throw while I'm checking for the correct burn.

To answer a previous question, I can unwrap and retake the picture, but a rustic doesn't have a completely smooth surface like a mottle does - it has lines of white all over it.

And Eugenia, if you're reading this - it could have actually been the vybar 103 that prevented the bulge in my ugly purple pillar, so the rustics may burn perfectly but the mottles may still bulge since I'm using 343 with them.

DanaE

In what way do you think the FT made the candle so fugly?

Girl! Did you see it! It was the ugliest attempted-rustic ever in the history of CT. It's under Eugenia's thread on the General candle making section. The one where she said she had a failed rustic experiment. It looked like someone took OK6228 and tried to lightly coat it with white stuff, but the white stuff wasn't hanging on very well and any minute it was going to reveal itself for the imposter it was. I actually made another candle after that, using the same additives but different FO and coloring and got the exact same result.

DanaE

I have never had a bulge like that. Hmmmmmm might have something to do with the wick size too. I am experimenting today with 1/2 tsp clear crystals, 1 T steric, 1% vybar 343 and 4045H.....only problem is I am using EO's today. They are so different that FO's. But, I will make a chunkie with it and burn it and post it. There was a post about dirty walls. I see that you have a smokin candle making soot. That only happens to me when the wick is too large. Hmmmmmmmmm. I have been testing all kinds of wicks in my 3" chunkie pillars, some mottle and rustics too, and am finding that #2 sq seems to be burning better. I will take some photos. I have 36 ply going, LX20, #1sq. They have been burning for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Donita

A picture is worth a thousand words.....

bulge.jpg

That's my candle, I'll fess up. :embarasse I sent it to Eugenia to test for me but I had no idea it was burning so horribly. :shocked2:

Okay kids...here's what NOT to do... :rolleyes2

That's my candle, I'll fess up. :embarasse I sent it to Eugenia to test for me but I had no idea it was burning so horribly. :shocked2:

Okay kids...here's what NOT to do... :rolleyes2

I believe it's a combination of ceiling fan draft (slight) , no hugging and the nature of 1343, not the maker.

e

• 3 weeks later...
I believe it's a combination of ceiling fan draft (slight) , no hugging and the nature of 1343, not the maker.

e

hmm, so this is what happens when a pillar is burning in a draft, with no hugging or wick trimming. All the things most warning labels offer advise on LOL

Wonder what it would look like if children and pets played with it lmao