Opinions/suggestons please

Mnhorsemom

This really isn't B&B but I didn't know where else to go so...In the fall where I live we have a problem with Japanese beetles. They were brought in years ago to help control another pest on crops and now since they have no natural enemies they have gotten to be a real problem. Starting in about September and going till freeze up we will gets 100's of these bugs in the house. They come in around doors and windows especially. I was at an Expo this past spring and a man was selling aromatherapy stuff. He had jars with a sponge and some sort of carrier oila and EO's that were supposed to be good for different things. Well one said good to repel these beetles, I think it was rosemary eo. Do you think I could mix that with cyclomethicone and spray around the doors and windows. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I REALLY HATE those yucky bugs. TIA

This really isn't B&B but I didn't know where else to go so...In the fall where I live we have a problem with Japanese beetles. They were brought in years ago to help control another pest on crops and now since they have no natural enemies they have gotten to be a real problem. Starting in about September and going till freeze up we will gets 100's of these bugs in the house. They come in around doors and windows especially. I was at an Expo this past spring and a man was selling aromatherapy stuff. He had jars with a sponge and some sort of carrier oila and EO's that were supposed to be good for different things. Well one said good to repel these beetles, I think it was rosemary eo. Do you think I could mix that with cyclomethicone and spray around the doors and windows. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I REALLY HATE those yucky bugs. TIA

I know exactly which ones you are talking about. Aromatherapy and natural bug inhibitors don't work on these guys. They've about eaten through an entire leaf on my sunflowers (to say nothing of my roses, raspberries, strawberries, peppers and begonias)! There is someone in my state with an effective and expensive repulsive spray but I found that if you mix Dawn dishsoap with water (I full a 32oz spray bottle with water and add a few drops of Dawn) and spray your plants down, it cuts the japenese beetle destruction by 1/2.

I think you can use any dishsoap, I just happen to like Dawn. LOL. Anyway, you want a very dilute mixture all you want to do is slighly cover the plants with a soapy film. Of course after every rain you will have to re-apply. Don't spray the flowers directly, you don't want to get rid of the bees that pollenate, just the beetles that feed on the leaves.

HTH, good luck!

Oh I heard somewhere that borax works too. If you have some of that.

Thanks Cetacea and Mountain. I don't have a problem with them eating my plants I just hate having them in my house. I get so many of them swarming around the back door and several windows on a warm fall day that I have to use the vacumn to suck them up :eek: Besides just being a PITA they also bite and if you squash one they leave a terrible orange stain.