Adding Embeds To Candles

That's a "that depends" kind of answer. Is it a container, and do you want them on top of your candle? is it a pillar and you want them to show through like chunks? or is it a gel candle that you are pouring over?

There are a lot of variables, and it really "just depends".. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :)

I agree. Some of my embeds are used on top of candle cakes and they are applied while the wax is still warm and pliable. If not they fall off. Some of my embeds are put in pillar or votive molds with wax poured over them. Some of them are used in pie candles so I may pour a layer of wax, arrange the embeds and then whip the wax and add it to the top.

So it's impossible to give a generic answer as to when to apply embeds.

DanaE

Sorry i was not more clear...i want to put my soy wax strawberries in a jar and then want to add more clear soy wax to fill up the jar...but i do not want the strawberries to melt when i pour the clear over them ....can i do that???

Thank You Again:)

Well not that I can be of any help but i defanitely was wondering the same thing about embeds as i have all these goodies to make pie candles yet not the nerve nor the knowledge to do anything with them yet. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Thanks for bringing the question up I had totally forgotten about it.

HUGS

Hmmm....well, once you pour the soy wax over the strawberries and the wax cools, you won't be able to see them anymore, because soy wax is very opaque. (you're going to have a jar full of strawberries that no one can see, unless one or two are pushed up against the jar somewhere...then it's just going to look like you had red spots in the jar)

What you could do is pour the soy wax to almost completely fill the container, wait until it's just slightly warm, and then push some of the strawberries down on top of the wax, so they're half in/half out of the wax.

If you were talking about filling the jar full of strawberries and then filling with soy (so that some berries stick out of the top), you can do that without melting the strawberries. Usually embeds are made with high melt point wax. Soy is a low melt point wax. So if you pour your soy at it's normal pouring temp or lower you shouldn't have any worries.

Fairy-light - about making pies. There are many different ways to use the embeds in them. For strawberry pies I fill the inside of the pie crust with strawberries and then overpour with red gel wax. For banana cream pie I whip the wax until it's really runny, fill the pie crust with it, then push little banana slices all around the top so they are sticking out. Then I use vanilla wafers and make a little wall all the way around the outside.

What you can do is look at other people's pictures. That'll give you a good idea of how they are using embeds.

DanaE

Did this answer any of your questions? Am I even on the right train?

Yes you are on the right train for my question...dahhh i forgot the soywax would turn white and you would not see them...so embeds are really just for either on the top of a candle or for use in gel candles correct?? That is the only way they would be seen in there entirety??..

Thank You for Your Response it was very much appreciated..

Yes you are on the right train for my question...dahhh i forgot the soywax would turn white and you would not see them...so embeds are really just for either on the top of a candle or for use in gel candles correct?? That is the only way they would be seen in there entirety??..

Thank You for Your Response it was very much appreciated..

You can use the embeds on the more translucent waxes like 1343 and could probably see them. Also, there are pictures where someone will take an embed and push up against the side of the pillar mold and pour the wax so that the embed shows (I've seen trees, bears, a cactus, hearts, etc.).

I use my embeds either on top of cake candles, or in pies mostly (most of my pies are NOT gel, so it doesn't have to be gel. I've found a million ways to make apple pies, pecan pies, banana cream pies, etc. with paraffin wax). I do use them in votives though, because you can fill up the votive mold with something like apple slices, then overpour and you can still see the apple chunks throughout the votive, plus they are sticking out of the top also.

If you really want something inside a candle, try doing chunk candles. They are great fun and a good way to use leftover wax. Just cut the wax in chunks, fill a pillar or votive mold full of the chunks (pushing down lightly so they fill it really well) and then overpour with a rather translucent wax (I use mostly 4045H or 1274). What you'll have is a candle where you can see all the chunks. Keep the overpour uncolored and the colored chunks inside will usually show up perfectly. Here's a chunk candle....

attachment.php?attachmentid=727&stc=1&d=1123787636

DanaE

Thank You again DanaE ...some great ideas you have given me....those chunck candles are so pretty....i have only used soy wax at this time i have not tried the parrifin yet so could you explain what those numbers you used are?? Im pretty new to this and dont now what all this stuff stands for or some of the techniques used are....i also want to do cinnamon bun candle tarts and votives but do you know what color that most use to make them look like they were just baked?? I have seen some but i thought they looked pretty fake....if i have a mold for them do i put real cinnamon on the bottom ??? and when do you add the pecans on top?? Or do you put them in the bottom before pouring the colored wax???..

Thank You Again

Candleluv

Thank You again DanaE ...some great ideas you have given me....those chunck candles are so pretty....i have only used soy wax at this time i have not tried the parrifin yet so could you explain what those numbers you used are?? Im pretty new to this and dont now what all this stuff stands for or some of the techniques used are....i also want to do cinnamon bun candle tarts and votives but do you know what color that most use to make them look like they were just baked?? I have seen some but i thought they looked pretty fake....if i have a mold for them do i put real cinnamon on the bottom ??? and when do you add the pecans on top?? Or do you put them in the bottom before pouring the colored wax???..

Thank You Again

Candleluv

The numbers on the waxes are what the manufacturers call them. I use mostly 4045H(at candlewic.com), IGI1274 (a million suppliers has this -I think Bittercreek has it, and someone said Lonestar did, plus Wholesalessuppliesplus.com has it), or 1343 for the translucent type candles (Peaks carries the 1343).

As for the color of the cinnamon bun? Honestly, you have to mix browns until you get there. I made 3 batches using 3 different types of browns trying to find a brown that I liked. The warm browns are much better than a straight brown (either a chocolate brown or honey brown).

I put my pecans on the cinnamon bun after the cinnamon bun is made and before I put icing on it. (the icing holds the pecans and raisins on it). I put cinnamon on it after I've iced it.

DanaE