Which Scents Work With Cyclomethicone?

jvfern

Thanks for replying:) , but that is why I posted this... to save me, and I'm sure a few others who are making these or interested in making these, some time and money as it could get pretty expensive testing! So any do's and don'ts would help a lot, TIA!

There's no easy out for this. You'll just have to test your own. Each FO will bind (or not) at different ratios. The same fragrance from different suppliers might bind differently as well. HTH.

I would say that pretty much all but a few that don't work. The only one that I have across that doesn't work is vanilla, and I've mixed alot of FO with cyclo. I think there is a thread on the BC forum that has fo's that work and not.

Thanks for replying:) , but that is why I posted this... to save me, and I'm sure a few others who are making these or interested in making these, some time and money as it could get pretty expensive testing! So any do's and don'ts would help a lot, TIA!
Expensive? Time consuming? Really?.....I hadn't noticed :mad:

Forgive me, but that statement just chaps my a$$. Too many people come to a board and want answers givent o them so they can forego the expense and time of testing themselves. Well I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you're going to make a go at this, you need to do it yourself and do it right!!

This is not a cheap nor easy venture, it's not a get rich quick scheme. I (and many other serious peeps here) have spent thousands (yes t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d-s) of dollars to get where we are and it's really frustrating when someone comes here and says "..to save me, and I'm sure a few others who are making these or interested in making these, some time and money as it could get pretty expensive testing!!" If you can't afford to test, then don't make the product.

This is not an issue of not wanting to help, I have no problem helping with many types of issues, but youre question as worded sure isn't one of them. Testing is important. Testing requires that you learn about the product, the process, the outcome. If you don't test yourself but take someone elses word for what works, then you have no clue as to the real outcome. It's dangerous for your customers and for your own liability.

I sell lots of perfume and colognes....lots! Anymore thats my biggest sellers. I sell lots of designer scents and all of them work great. I agree you will just have to test because every supplier and every scent works differently. Once you get it down stay with that supplier cause they do change accordingly.

When I read this I didn't see it as she didn't want/wouldn't test. I think she was asking the question more to find out what FO's didn't work at all for people so that she and others wouldn't waste time and $$ in testing those particular FO's. I guess I kind of thought that is why there are forums like this so that we can learn from each others testings and mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong, and I sure don't mean to step on anyones toes.

When I read this I didn't see it as she didn't want/wouldn't test. I think she was asking the question more to find out what FO's didn't work at all for people so that she and others wouldn't waste time and $$ in testing those particular FO's. I guess I kind of thought that is why there are forums like this so that we can learn from each others testings and mistakes. Maybe I'm wrong, and I sure don't mean to step on anyones toes.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. The statement:

Which scents, from where, worked well for you, and with what ratio? leads me to believe that she wants to know exactly what ratios for particular companies scents work instead of finding out on her own.

I agree with Beth. This is not a get rich quick scheme, not is it an easy or cheap venture. Its a craft, not a manufacturing plant.

I'm still in testing for my bath bombs..while I have recipes from various sources, I have tested and tweaked each one. And let me tell you, I've racked up a pretty penny with these bombs and that's with cheaper materials AND recipes..but they are not exactly what I want, nor would I put my label on them as they are. When I get them to what I want then I'll be satisfied and proud to sell them. Until then, they stay on my candlemaking bench, and get tested in my bathtub. I'd no more put an untested product up for sale than I would murder someone in their sleep. JMO

Expensive? Time consuming? Really?.....I hadn't noticed :mad:

Forgive me, but that statement just chaps my a$$. Too many people come to a board and want answers givent o them so they can forego the expense and time of testing themselves. Well I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If you're going to make a go at this, you need to do it yourself and do it right!!

This is not a cheap nor easy venture, it's not a get rich quick scheme. I (and many other serious peeps here) have spent thousands (yes t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d-s) of dollars to get where we are and it's really frustrating when someone comes here and says "..to save me, and I'm sure a few others who are making these or interested in making these, some time and money as it could get pretty expensive testing!!" If you can't afford to test, then don't make the product.

This is not an issue of not wanting to help, I have no problem helping with many types of issues, but youre question as worded sure isn't one of them. Testing is important. Testing requires that you learn about the product, the process, the outcome. If you don't test yourself but take someone elses word for what works, then you have no clue as to the real outcome. It's dangerous for your customers and for your own liability.

LMAO, hehe

You can test small amount to see if they are miscible with each other. You can use a teaspoon of cyclo and a drop or two of FO to see if they mix.

There are different weight cyclomethicones on the market - so what works with one might not work with the other.

The old SoapDish archived board has a huge list of FOs that work with the Lotioncrafter cyclo.

OH I GET IT NOW!! Those of us that have wasted the time and $$ in testing those particular fo's are SOL!! We wasted the time and money to figure out that they didn't work by doing OUR OWN testing. Helping people is one thing, but doing all the work and spending all the $$ for testing just to hand it over to someone else so they can save money is the best laugh I have had all day :laugh2: Thanx I appreciate it!

YOU GO BETH!!

OH I GET IT NOW!! Those of us that have wasted the time and $$ in testing those particular fo's are SOL!! We wasted the time and money to figure out that they didn't work by doing OUR OWN testing. Helping people is one thing, but doing all the work and spending all the $$ for testing just to hand it over to someone else so they can save money is the best laugh I have had all day :laugh2: Thanx I appreciate it!

YOU GO BETH!!

Couldn't agree more! Happy to help with a problem, but you need to do your own legwork.

e

I use a shot glass that has measurements on it. I pour 1/4oz of cyclo and then 1/4 FO then mix with a tooth pick. I then chart what scent and the company it came from and if it mixed or not.

I then fold up a paper towel onto a piece of foil and pour that sample onto it then give it to someone to use in their car as a free sample.

I AM SO SORRY TO HAVE POSTED WHAT I DID EARLIER!!! I will remember in the future to not make comment. I never said that anyone was SOL, I have also spent time and a lot of money making the products that I do. I test,and have friends test for me also and I know it is not a cheap venture. I guess I just do not understand why some people have to reply with a less than friendly attitude to a post. If you don't agree with what someone asks or says, fine, but you don't have to get ugly about it. JMHO though so bash away.

I agree, everyone should test and try things for themselves, to really get the gist of the product, and make it their own, but I don't agree with someone coming back with a hateful attitude, why get sooo angry? Life is too short to be that way IMO. ;)

I AM SO SORRY TO HAVE POSTED WHAT I DID EARLIER!!! I will remember in the future to not make comment. I never said that anyone was SOL, I have also spent time and a lot of money making the products that I do. I test,and have friends test for me also and I know it is not a cheap venture. I guess I just do not understand why some people have to reply with a less than friendly attitude to a post. If you don't agree with what someone asks or says, fine, but you don't have to get ugly about it. JMHO though so bash away.

EXACTLY!! Would you just tell every Ginger, Jill, and Sally each and everything that you do? Just hand it all over, all your testing notes, suppliers, ratios, and so forth just to save them some money? I have no problem helping people at all, but you need to help yourself too. I was simply responding to statements in your earlier post.

Asking someone for some guidence is alot different then asking someone to give away all their hard work. I know that there are alot of peeps on here that do this as a full time buisness, some part time, and some just as a hobby. However, each and every one realizes that you cannot get rich quick, and testing takes time, and lotts of money!!! I tested my products for almost a year before I even started selling. I also took a double digit loss last year, because I spent so much on testing, and I couldn't quit testing new things :rolleyes2

However, I don't know every person on here, and I dont' know where they are located. How would I make any money if I helped JUDY BLUE with all these answers, and shared all my info with her, just to find out that she is selling the same items 2 towns away? You never know who you are dealing with on here, anyone can lie about where they are from. I am not trying to say that this is happening, but think about it. Sharing is so appreciated by each and every one of us, but sharing is also some give and take. To share just to save someone else a ton of cash that I had to spend to get my results, doesn't sound very fair. Especially when you look at the concept that it isn't just this recipe, or just b/b, each and every person here has questions. TESTING is the most important thing that you can do. How will one ever learn from their mistakes, if they just take someone elses opinion? How do you know that someone won't steer you in the wrong direction? How do you know that you will be satisfied with the same results as they achieved?

Each person has their own opinion. I find it a real pain, that a person can't get upset or voice their postitive or negative thoughts without everyone getting defensive. Hello people??? This is a computer!! The world isn't gonna end cuz someone posted something rude! Doesn't mean that they won't agree with you in the next topic!!

WOAH!!! I wish I would have seen this earlier! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry, but I really didn't mean any of what I was asking or saying to come off sounding derogatory. I got the idea from another board someone recommended, and thought it would be cool to do here too. I really like this board and would never try to offend anyone purposely. Just for the record, of course I would test first anyway, which is what I've been doing, with no luck, so I have spent lots of time and money as well. But I understand where you're coming from with the time and money thing that everyone has to go through it, and thank you so much Mnhorsemom for understanding and trying to explain what I really meant. Just goes to show there are some really great people here in this group that I wouldn't want to not be a part of, or feel uncomfortable being a part of, so to all I have offended, please accept my humble apologies, and thanks to all who have put in the helpful input:) !

No problems here! I guess it just goes to show, how a statement can be viewed differently depending on the reader! Don't let any of this get to ya, heck, it is ok to disagree. It is ok, to think something differently than anyone else does. And it is ok to talk about it!! And just cuz it gets done, does not mean that everyone hates you, or nobody likes you, it just means that we are all human, and we disagree! Simple!

You know jvfern we've posted before what FO's from a certain supplier worked well in CP soap. When we do FO supplier's and CP, we don't rattle off all the ingrediants we used, just what process and how the FO behaved. No BIG secrets given there, and it helps out your fellow soaper. Common sense tells you that FOs are going to behave differently with different recipes, and the lists are just guidelines.

So, there's not really a reason if you wanted to start a thread about XXX supplier's cyclo worked well with XXX FO's you couldn't. If people want to list what ratios they used, then they can, if they don't, they don't. Maybe we'd end up with a good list.

The basis of the forum IS for sharing and learning from others. No, it is NOT to spill the beans on your prized soap or lotion recipe. Most (business) people that have success with a certain recipe keep it safely guarded, which makes sense. Look at KFC ;) Not to say they can't take you into the "kitchen" and at least give you some pointers to start out with and help you along the way, which is the aim of this community.

Tested a few fo's with cyclone and they end up settling to the bottom. I use about 8:1 ratio. Got this idea from another member.. Which scents, from where, worked well for you, and with what ratio? Thanks!!

jvfern

I am very dissappointed :cry2: by some of the responses that you have recieved from this forum. I recently joined this board to improve my craft and possibly be of some help to others as well. After all that is why all of these boards have become so emensly popular....the willingness of all the share, teach and learn.

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14099&hl=miscible

The above post at Soap Dish may be informative to many and an example to some by showing the length that some will go to help.

May I also add that I very much like visiting this board and have personnaly found it to be very informative.

Mary Lou

I just started to do body and linen sprays, and had no idea of how or where to start. By reading many message boards I got a good starting point of what to use and how to package it. I started testing, first with scents that I read did well, then moved on to scents I liked but wasn't sure if they would work. Just do a small amount, don't make a 4 oz bottle to test, that's a real waste of money. I agree, the soapdish is a great place to learn a lot about B&B products.

i must add that not all of us fills this way. yes i have spent hundreds of dollers on different scents from different co..but if some one ask me i would tell them ware i got it and if it worked.i do not fill like by helping them out i am giving anything away.i have never used cyclomethicone.if it was me i would try the scents out that i have. to see if they work sounds like they would.i am sorry that you got so many none answers.