Burn Time Question

I am now testing 4627 in the square masons and this morning when I figured out my burn rate (using the burn time calculator), I found that my jars would only get about 30 hours of burn time. This seems awfully low for a square mason. I was just wondering if anyone else found that 4627 burns faster than other waxes or that maybe the burn rate isn’t necessarily accurate. I am keeping track of exactly how long I am burning these testers, but it really surprised me to see such a low burn time. Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks.

Hey Angela:

I use 4687 in my containers. 13 oz gets about 80 hours burn time. I always calculate burn time by keeping track of the hours manually because I have found there is a difference. And of course, different FOs & wick do make a difference with burn time. Good luck!

Cheryl

The square mason is 8 oz.

I appreciate the help. I am still burning the testers and keeping track of my hours manually. They look to be burning nicely. Good melt pool (not too deep) and no smoking or sooting as of yet. Hopefully the calculator is wrong on this one.

Are you sure you are figuring it correctly? Here is a simple method. Weigh the candle. Burn for 2 hours. Blow out. Weigh again. The difference is the amount of wax consumed in 2 hours. Divide that number by 2 for the burn rate per hour. For container wax, it's normally .1 to .2 ounces per hour. You need to do this a few times as the rate may change.

Based on that, at .1 it would burn for 80 hours (at 8 ounces) or 40 hours for .2. If your math is right, you may need to wick down, even if it's not smoking.

e

Guest highflier

Angela I have found that there is nothing like manually checking them. Drafts can make the wick burn hotter and consume more wax. The deeper the melt pool is it seem to me the candle burns a little faster.

How deep is your melt pool in like 3 hours and 4 hours?

Mike

Melt pool is 1/4" at about 3 hours. No smoking, no soot, great throw, everything seems right. I used the calculator from candlecauldron.com, which DH put into a spreadsheet for me. The spreadsheet does the calculation for me, so I know that I didn't do the math wrong. I am thinking now that it might be my scale. Last night, it was acting funny because it needs new batteries. So maybe it wasn't weighing accurately. I am going to keep track of exactly how long I burn these testers to get a more accurate rate. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)