Have you all heard of Candle Wealth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, new to the boards, I wanted to let you know of my experience. I found out about them thru an internet add, and the rep who called me was very nice, and even offered to come to my home to help me learn, she even said you don't have to recruit if you don't want, so she sponsered me as a free associate, and I got the Instacandle 5 pack since it was the cheapest thing I could get to just try out. Well, while waiting on my stuff, I kept doing research on the kits and such, and to tell you the truth it is not for little ole me who just wants to be happy makin' candles, not trying to build a network of candlemakers or candlemasters. The prices are expensive, and the 2 larger kits have things you use to recruit with, and you have to pay to maintain a website with them and to have access to their backoffice. I don't want to pay for things I have no intention of using. Plus, I was a bit peeved when I saw that I only have 10 CV's from my order and you MUST have 30 CV's to stay ACTIVE with the company, what if I got sick and didn't feel like making candles for a while, I guess I would be up the river. I am going to use the kits to dip bears, and I did end up making a candle which I am proud of, of course since it is my first. I actually used 2 kits to fill my container to the top, so double the fragrance, it is very strong. I will post a picture in the gallery. I am going to be using Candlescience as my supplier for wax, wicks, and containers since they are just a little over an hour from my house. So I will be a "candlemaster" one day, just not with this company. I suppose if you are into recruiting it may very well be a great company to work with, as they seem to provide a lot of conference calls and tools for you to build your team, so I am not bashing them, just saying it is not a good option if you simply want to have fun making candles at a reasonable price.

When I first started out, I bought a soy kit and yes - I did microwave my soy :) . But anyway. I didn't know about proper wicking and guess what - I got black soot from my soy candles! Yup - good ol black soot. But I thought soy didnt produce soot (I'm being sarcastic here)?!? Guess what - it does if you've improperly wicked it just as paraffin gives black soot if - guess what - you've improperly wicked it (being sarcastic again). I've since switched to parrafin (I was able to get awesome throws from soy so that wasn't it) because soy candles give my mil a headache. Both types of waxes have their goods and both types have their evils. But hey - if bashing the one you don't use brings in more sales - good for you (sarcasm again).

Jen

I definitely echo the sentiments of those who are very wary of the MLM aspect of CW. I have known people who want nothing more than to provide better for their families get sucked into a MLM scheme. They are great people, but fall for the big money "hook" and get screwed when they get in too late. It's only the ones at the top of the Pyramid that make the money.

Also, my experience has been that MLM groups never know much about the product they sell, but use it as a vehicle to promote their system, where they really make their money.

Just the fact they portray (insert whatever they are selling) as eventually leading to six figure incomes throw up a red flag to me.

I am considering joining CandleWealth but am not 100% sure about it yet...I signed up as a free associate for a month, but need to decide if I can order what I would need to monthly. I've been reading here at Candle Tech and am learning so much!

I'm disappointed to read mostly negative comments about CW so far and it makes me have second thoughts. The big negatives seem to be 1) MLM is a big turn-off to some people, and 2) they go way overboard on bashing paraffin, and 3) you have to commit to buying about $50 worth of stuff every month (but that might be a motivation to keep busy too).

Here are the aspects about it that really appeal to me, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any other comments about this? I would like to make a good decision and not just jump on the bandwagon because they make it sound so great and profitable and fun.

1. I have tried their NV soy wax and some of their fragrance oils and thought my candles turned out really great (smelled awesome, looked really nice, and burned very clean). It holds up to 1-1/2 oz. of fragrance oil well, seems to be easy to work. Have any of you tried their wax? I would be curious to know how it compares to some others.

2. Their prices are not outrageous, really pretty average for good quality supplies I thought as I've compared. About 1.50/lb for wax and 7.25-8.00 for 4 oz. fragrance oil.

3. For me, MLM seems to be something that people either absolutely detest or they love. I see it as a positive because it gives you an opportunity to earn residual income and multiple streams of it. I like the aspect of helping others succeed and teaching others to be successful, and in turn being more successful yourself.

4. I don't like that they don't have many choices for FOs, but I do believe their scents are soy based and they seem to be very high quality.

5. The supplies they offer have already been extensively tested as far as the combination of wicks, wax, fragrance oils, etc. It makes sense to me this could really help to save a lot of time and expense for people just starting out in candlemaking.

6. They really spend a lot of time teaching their people how to effectively market the candles they learn to make through craft shows, home parties, fundraisers for example. You have a chance to learn a lot from people who are out there successfully doing these things--what mistakes not to make, pointers, tips, helpful advice, etc.

7. As far as "why train people to make candles who are going to be your competitors?", I see their emphasis being that there is room for everyone to have "a little piece of the pie." Their program gives people room to have creativity and not just make the exact same products.

I've read negative things about their "InstaCandles" and am not sure what to think about that. They do tell you to microwave the wax, but lots of other soy candle kits from reputable companies give you that as an option as well. Actually making one of these InstaCandles what what got me interested in candlemaking in the first place. The candle I made was was so nice...it was really fun to make...seemed to have good quality ingredients and clear directions for making it. It made me REALLY interested in wanting to learn more and make more of them! So then I went and bought from other soy candle kits from other companies to compare (at Wix End and on eBay). The InstaCandles are just like mini soy candle kits to get people interested, which I think is a neat idea.

So those are my thoughts...will be having to make up my mind...are these worthwhile positive aspects to this company or am I being naive? :confused:

Thanks!

I just ran across this the other day doing a search on how to make beeswax pillars. The link said Candle Makers Wanted. So I clicked on it because it had my curiosity. And yup, they are charging some huge prices for the kit! I think that this is crazy but you know that people will buy it!

Yes, that's another thing too. The kit is expensive. $250--yikes! :sad2:

Like I mentioned previously, I've been trying to make up my mind about joining. I guess I see this more as that you're paying this extra cost because you are "buying a business package" and joining the company--for example, it includes your website for 6 months, business materials, etc. also. I think also a good portion of the startup cost goes to pay the bonuses of the people above you. A waste of money if you do not want to build a business, worth it most likely if in turn you can do the same thing and earn bonuses of your own, and if the people above you take you by the hand and help train, mentor, and teach you.

If you just want to get a kit to make candles as a hobby, I agree, that would be not be the cheapest way to go. But after that the products do not seem overly expensive.

They aren't exactly advertising a LITTLE piece of the pie for everyone - they are giving the impression that everyone could get rich off of this.

Laura, if you really want to get into the candle selling biz, you could just do it all yourself, and probably save some money. For example, I get a website, domain and shopping cart with merchant account integration (I currently only use Paypal), all for just $14.95/mo. I get my product liability insurance for both candles and B&B for $551/year. I am free to order my supplies from the most cost effective supplier, and use the products that work best for me.

All of the information that they offer to provide you with is available free from websites and forums like this. There is a whole global chandler community that is willing to give you advice on business start up, sales, advertising, marketing, labeling, and bookkeeping in addition to sage candlemaking advice.

Does Candle Wealth assume your product liability, because if not, you will still need to get this insurance yourself, or hope that no one ever tries to sue you if you candle harms them or causes property damage. Remember that if you set your business up as a Sole Proprietorship, your own assets (house, car, etc) are at risk if you are sued. And even if you do win - can you afford the lawyer and court costs to fight a long, drawn out court battle?

It's great that they can advise you on wax, wick, container, fo combinations, but you should still do your own testing and know your own product - especially if you are the one who is going to be held responsible for selling it.

Does CW get you a state sales tax id or seller's permit? Do they register your business name? Do they check out local zoning regulations if you are a home based biz? Will they set up your website, or submit your website to search engines? Will they track your inventory, do your bookkeeping, or help you with your taxes?

I'm not trying to sound snotty, just to mention several of the things that are involved in running a business, that I don't think CW does for you. It just sounds to me like you would still end up doing as much work to start up a candle making business WITH Candle Wealth as without.

If you did start your own business, what's to prevent you from eventually getting your own representatives to work below you? Then, you would be at the top of your own MLM. If you love making candles, have a head for business and are a self-motivated disciplined person, there is no reason why you can't be successful at starting your own business.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

-Margie

My suggestion is to check out www.candlescience.com they have wonderful prices, wick guides, wick kits etc., and they are sooo helpful, Dan was on the phone with me a good long time and offered tons of suggestions and advice, I gleaned what I could from Candlewealth, and am going on from here. There are wonderful sites such as this one which offer great help, I am not telling you what to do just offering what I have done. I wish you the best!!

well I can't help but post a reply about this! Just to vent!!!

Now I started reasearching and testing and testing even up to now with soy since late 2001, this was so unheard of then in Aus, then early this year along came this network marketing candle company, equivalent or branch of that other one and all of a sudden soy candles started sprouting from nowhere and poorly made! it upset me 'coz here I am banging my head off to make a "nearly" perfect soy candle and this people are making soy candles overnight!

They're making it look like soy candles are just ordinary candles, in fact they've been selling them cheaper than the US ones!

I buy their candles and I'm so disappointed with the quality and people might think all soy candles are the same!! Gosh!!! it is so upsetting!

But not to worry, I said to myself! I'd rather have few customers who keeps coming back than sell an awful candle!! oh well...thanks for listening!!:rolleyes2

No offence made to members of this network marketing co!!!

• 9 months later...

I got into candles through Candlewealth. I had just been disabled out of the workforce and was looking for something simple to do to augment our income because we took quite a hit when I couldn't work anymore. Anyway, I answered the candlewealth ad (it was a very stupid thing to do). I didn't much like the recruiting part but was assured that I could just make candles and that I didn't have to recruit - that they supported both. Got told the whole ball of wax about soy being so much better than paraffin and that their soywax was a special formulation that was better than any of the other soy waxes on the market. HUH!!

I tried selling my candles for what they recommended - didn't sell a one. At the supply costs and shipping costs (were way high) I couldn't really compete so I started getting soywax from other places - Peak, Moonglow, Lone Star, etc. I tested those waxes against the Candlewealth wax and everytime the others out performed the Candlewealth wax not only in terms of scent throw, burning time, etc but in looks, ease of making, etc. I quit using Candlewealth - they had lied to me about not having to recruit too - that was all they wanted you to do. I doubt many of them sell candles; they spend all their time trying to recruit. Just a big racket.

I don't really regret the money I spent - it did get me into candles; got me started on candle know-how etc. but I would not recommend it to anyone who is serious about doing candles. If you want to do an MLM its as good as any other one (I don't like any of them), but their supplies cost too much, they have very little selectiion, and they give you absolutely no help whatsoever. :angry2:

Candlewealth does not provide you with insurance, does not help you set up your business, they just take your money. The 50 dollars you are suppose to buy each month - no, its 75 plus shipping. You have to buy so many credits and it always came to 75 plus shipping. And you don't benefit from your purchasing from them unless you recruit other people and they buy. Only then if you have bought each month like a good little member do you get a commission check.

I keep my pages up to direct people to Candlewealth because there are some people out there that like to do MLM but I have found that most are not interested - another Candlewealth fable - they said people would flock to join up!!

Their how-to info on the making of candles is skimpy at best and is only geared to doing conainer candles (they just added votives) that look like everyone else's container candles. You don't learn the why of anything so if things go wrong you are lost. Much better info on the net than with Candlewealth.

If you want to do candles do it on your own - don't go through Candlewealth. You can't sell for what they say you can; you can't be competitive if you buy their overpriced supplies; and they suck the fun right out of it. Learn from my mistake.....I'm doing what I want now with my candles and having a ball. Hope you do too.

Just my two cents.

Suzanne P.

Hi folks,

I wanted to chime in on this too since the reason I am now doing candles is because of Candle Wealth. The lady next to my booth at the flea market sells candle wealth and tried to recruit me since I am on oxygen for COPD (to many years of smoking) and these candles did not irritate my breathing like paraffin does . I was looking for a new product to sell.. I actually researched Candle Wealth heavily, especialy since I dont like MLM pyramid companies. I however am a good researcher with the internet and google. I found all the main suppliers and I was fortunate to

find this board searching the net. Because of what I learned I avoided Candle Wealth totaly.

LauraAndrews---- You stated that their wax is reasonable at 1.50 a pound and their FO's at 8.00 fpr 4 ounces.

If you had done your homework you can find several major suppliers of wax and Fragrance oils for a lot less. Their selection of oils leave a lot to be desired.

I will give an even better example of Candle Wealth VS Doing your own, the Candle Wealth lady who hooked me on soy still sells in my market on Saturdays only, I sell my candles on Sunday and guesse what ? I out sell her every time! Why ? Because I have a better product and I did my testing and I buy the best fragrances you can buy along with a really good wax which is totaly better looking finished than their NV Soy Wax. Now dont get me wrong I am not bashing them but I think ,, no I know that I do a much nicer product and I test test test! Something they dont even tell you to do.

Oh and for all you paraffin folks I would never knock your products either , I just get all congested around it but its still a great product . I just happen to love Soy:cheesy2:

I also really love this board since I have started reading and learning here my candle sales have really increased . This place has such a wealth of knowledge to offfer not to mention some pretty darn nice people too!:D

This whole thread reminds me of something....AMWAY. You can call it whatever you want, MLM or pyramid....I call it A Sucker Is Born Every Minute. My husband and I became part of the "AMWAY opportunity" over 30 years ago and it still pisses me off. What a crock of "poop". Just a bunch of links to the top and you are the bottom link. Emphasis was NOT on selling the products but recruiting more people. We recruited a couple that got really upset because when they sold products we made more off of their sales than they did. We were told that the whole idea was to get people under you and then they get people under them and the whole way down the line so that the last link at the bottom is selling the products while you are making money off of their hard work. My husband and I sold a lot of products because people did like them but we were told in no uncertain terms that we were supposed to stop selling so many products and start recruiting. After being told that at several "team meetings" we told them where they could shove the whole thing. A lot of the home party plans work on these same principals but I've never been to a home party where 99% of the emphasis is on recruiting. Don't be fooled by these types of get rich quick schemes. Like someone else said...if these things worked we'd all be retired living the good life.

Maggie

If you want to make money, making candles, the last thing you need is a middle middle man. CW will be a phase, I love soy and I love parrafin for different reasons. I have bearly had the time to play with soy, and I want to since I got into the candle business. These are the reason's why, I am doing well, Iam self taught, with the help of this board and the guts to put myself out there and spend the money to test and learn. The first 4 cases of wax I bought was from Peak's and I live in Rhode Island, I thought Peaks and Cajun Candles were the only 2 companies out there LOL The next and most important reason I am doing well is because, my candles rock, they smell great and they do not soot like the high priced candles you can buy. I believe in my product , becuase it is mine. Anybody can get hooked into one of these get rich quick businesses, but it gets 2 competitive too fast, you don't make any money and it isn't your product. It is just like a large cosmetic company where a few have made tons of money and a ton have made no money. Too much competition for the same exact product.

We all make the same products, we all just make them differently, they have our signature on them, so if you are good with soy or parrifin, take a look in the galleries. That is the difference between us and CW. It isn't that hard to figure out, I'll take what I see in the galleries on this board, before I even think about buying a big name candle and CW is the most difficult and expensive way to make something you are proud of. Now that is just my honest opinion.

I agree with Cindym....the reason I started making candles just recently was because of Candle Wealth. Being a self proclaimed "tree hugger" I guess I was an easy target for the environmental aspect of the company. I purchased their beginner kit and started to make candles. It was not as easy as it sounded and my sponser new less about the candle making side of it then I did. No disrespect to her as she is a very nice person and a great help if you are looking to build a network of candle makers, but I really wanted to know how to make a great candle not how to recruit people who didn't know how to make a candle either. How can you build a network of candle makers and leverage their time if no one knows how to make the candles?

So I started doing a little more research on purchasing wholesale elsewhere and found that most of CW's products are good quality but very close if not priced at retail. How can you make a profit if you are starting at or almost retail?

What this comes down to is that the profit is in the recruiting and not the making of the candle. But in my opinion putting 100s of people out there making a so so product without any type of insurance or exprience could be really dangerous and give the legitimate soy candle makers a lot to overcome. I'm a fan of of MLM and leveraging your time and creating a residual income but there are certain products that should not be put into this business strategy. If you put in the time and patients and sweat equity to make a great candle there should be no reason not to be able to have your own sales team selling a quality product that the public will be happy with and feel safe burning. :wink2:

Sorry needed to edit for one more thought!

I once thought that candle making was no big deal...how hard could it be? Holy cow...was I wrong...I have so much respect for everyone on this forum who have put in the time and sweat equity...not to mention the money to make the best product they can and I am forever grateful for this forum and its plethroa of knowlege that has come by the determination, sweat and persistance of every candle maker here...thanks again for all your help!

My question would be as to how long has this company been making candles?Not selling the candlemaking stuff just making them and what type of testing did they do. It seems like they only use one size wick. Hmmm! That leaves a big question mark? Different sizes of containers need different sizes of wicks. Also what type of seminars do they have? Do they offer classes on candlemaking or is this just a big 2 hr. sales pitch on how much money could be made once you buy their products and start selling them.

I did a show this spring where I was set up across from their booth. They had more selection of different types of candles and therefore a larger booth. I sell mostly tins, jjs and apothocary. I had also taken some tarts. Anyway the show sucked as far as foot traffic went, so we had a lot of time to compare notes and chat.

They said that they don't buy other fo's or wax, just candle wealth. I noticed on the website, that they are very limited on scents. They also stated that their product shipped from CA. Shipping from CA to OH is outrageous on wax alone.

Also they stated that the wax and fo's only worked together, that they wouldn't use any other suppliers fo's in their wax because they were formulated to work together. (uh huh, right)

Anyhoo, it was exactly the type of situation not to get into. They are buying into the hype of CW and unable to be creative one of the most creative parts of the business.... FO's!! IMO They were very creative ppl but hobbled by the restrictions of CW. A little research and they could do lots better!!

Yeah, it's a bunch of hoo-ha. I appreciate those of you on this web site who have taken the time to do your own research into candle making and marketing, and have taken the grass roots approach. Not only are you more accountable to your customers, but a lot of lovin' and blood sweat & tears have gone into your businesses...and you are all well aware that there is NO WAY to get rich quick (or even get rich at all) selling home fragrance products. Candlewealth and similar gimmicks are nothing more than a fly-by-night approach to sucking people in, getting them to spend money, while bashing a crucial portion of the candle making community...the chandlers that make wonderful paraffin candles. I myself am a soy user, and love my products, but I have respect for those of you who deal strictly with paraffin...I have been there too, and will always love the highly fragranced beautiful candles that paraffin creates...I love them too, soot and all!

All you have to do is take a gander at this to show you how much of a rip off it is:

http://www.downline.tv/cwealth/price_list.asp

It is almost sickening to read through.

I'll agree with you there! Where are they getting their "competitive" pricing? No where would 100 lbs. of soy wax cost anyone $144, let alone the $125 they're offering!!!

I've been reading with interest the threads on Candlewealth. Now, I'm very new to candlemaking, and I am so impressed by this forum with all the experience, dedication and creativity that exists in the candlemaking world. That being said, I'd just like to share my experience with regard to candle-making and Candlewealth.

I first purchased a soy candle about a year ago at a farmer's market. Not a huge candle-burner, had never heard of soy (like so many folks, I'm finding). Burned it all that fall, and loved it, clean-burning, great scent throw, long-lasting.

This spring I was looking for another creative business for my husband and myself, and came across the same vendor. She was a Candlewealth member. I was extremely leary of the networking aspect, but when I did the research, I found that I could get started very easily, for a competitive price, with help both local and from the company, and best of all without reinventing the wheel. And all the supplies were guaranteed.

I did start the business. I haven't wanted to invest time or energy in the network marketing side of things, and as I progress in making candles and find other sources (like this great site), I'm using other fragrances, dyes, etc., and just like everyone of you I have to test, test and test again.

Making a soy candle in a microwave was indeed as easy as the company claimed. And of course if one wants to make more than one small candle one is taught all about double boilers and pour pots. I don't have a lot of problems with bloom or wet spots so far--at least not more so than it seems most folks do. so it really didn't seem that hard to get started.

So, my bottom line is that I did not have to reinvent the wheel to get started making candles.

A few specific items that others have brought up in this thread. My literature all told me that the soy is 100% natural soy wax. I have not seen anything that says it is 85%. Also, I've done my own burn tests with Candlewealth soy and paraffin side-by-side, same size, same burn time, same conditions, and indeed the soy did outlast the paraffin and with less soot. There are indeed different wick sizes, and a simple method for determining which to use. Some of the fragrances, although limited in number, have an awesome throw, and are my best-sellers so far. Others are much less strong in the throw. I learned very quickly that there are so many variables in this "art" of candlemaking that all claims are somewhat subjective. It's the old "to each his own" theory, I guess.

The sites I researched online did include an EPA study showed some levels of formaldehyde and benzine emitted from paraffin candles, which isn't present with soy, and the petroleum-carbon soot that does seem to be a problem with paraffin doesn't seem to be present in my soy candles. Personally, I love the idea of non-petroleum products, and am anxious to get into trying my hand at palm wax pillar candles. But that's my personal preference only.

My thought on bashing paraffin candles is that one can just share one's own experience and let people know where to go to find out for themselves what they feel comfortable with.

Hope this sheds a little light on the Candlewealth thing. Look forward to comments and possible enlightenment.

I don't have a lot of problems with bloom or wet spots so far--at least not more so than it seems most folks do. so it really didn't seem that hard to get started.

Those are both characteristics of 100% soy & in my personal experience with using that I've had both problems often.

edited to stop saying soy so much lol

The sites I researched online did include an EPA study showed some levels of formaldehyde and benzine emitted from paraffin candles, which isn't present with soy, and the petroleum-carbon soot that does seem to be a problem with paraffin doesn't seem to be present in my soy candles.

EPA has never studied soy so you can not use that when talking about soy period. Hate to tell you something but there has been no reliable research done on soy or you can bet your butt El, Cargill and Ecosya would not only be quoting it but have links to it. Something else if it burn it is emitting something and most likely it not good for you. Sorry but that is Laws of Physics every action has a reaction.

Here is something else to think of where did the EPA get the candles from the dollar store or from so called reputable companies. I seriously doubt they got them from a small candle maker that works very hard to make sure the soot is not there. I also believe if I remember right that study had like 30 candle burning in a one fairly small room. Heck you are going to get all kinds of thing happening in that situation.

A few specific items that others have brought up in this thread. My literature all told me that the soy is 100% natural soy wax. I have not seen anything that says it is 85%. Also, I've done my own burn tests with Candlewealth soy and paraffin side-by-side, same size, same burn time, same conditions, and indeed the soy did outlast the paraffin and with less soot. There are indeed different wick sizes, and a simple method for determining which to use. Some of the fragrances, although limited in number, have an awesome throw, and are my best-sellers so far. Others are much less strong in the throw. I learned very quickly that there are so many variables in this "art" of candlemaking that all claims are somewhat subjective. It's the old "to each his own" theory, I guess.

Did you make the paraffin candle or did you buy it. Where did you buy it from a manufacturer or from a person at the local farmers market. How do you know the paraffin candle wax wicked properly. As you stated yourself in another post that you have only been making candles for a few months so I would hope that you didn't compare it to one you made.

Sorry guys but I am a soy candle maker and I am tired of everyone knocking paraffin using half truths and lies to back themselves up. I realize they are quoting what they read but you know the old say never believe anything you read and only have of what you see. There is a lot of truth in that when some one is selling something to you.