Aquarium Soap

Alajane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a direct copy and paste from the person who posted these originally. I'm so sorry I didn't keep her name to give her credit, so if she sees this here I hope she will chime in and claim her "stuff"! You will see from the instructions that she made hers in regular soap molds--I just used clamshells so I wouldn't have to wrap them!

To make them I melt a bit of white soap in a cup and add some paprika for a sand look. I have my molds propped up at a slight angle and pour in a layer in the bottom (a bit tricky but if you mess up you can scrape off the mistakes). After it starts to harden a little I stick in a piece of clipped off aquarium plant (soft). Then I let it set.

After they are completely hardened I lay the molds down , spritz with alcohol and pour in some clear soap (make sure it's not too hot) with a TINY bit (like one drop to 2 c.) of blue colorant and drop in the fish. Spray top with alchohol to disperse bubbles and let harden.

Kids love them and they are a lot easier than the fish in a bag type.

*Edited to add* Do NOT try to unmold the soaps until they are totally hard or the fish seperates a bit. I put mine in the freezer and have had no problems with clarity or anything. And I do add fragrance oil as well. Avoid yellowish ones though.

Ok I just wanted to admit when I first saw this post I was soooo amazed ( still ) and wanted to try this immediately. I found the time last night and mine turned out....well not so good. The "water" is cloudy and my fish is dead :sad2: . I will try again! You all are awesome and so creative!

Ok i guess im the one that needs to ask, but what happens when the child gets to the sand that has the paprika in it? Is it harmful in any way if he or she got it in their eyes? Your soap is the nicest one ive seen for a childs item as you did a great job. I would love to try these but a little worried as far as the paprika goes. Lin

It hadn't occurred to me that it might be a problem. So I mixed up a batch last night and made myself a bar of soap with the paprika--about 3 times as much as I normally put in the fishy soap.

I tried it out in the shower this morning--now, granted, I didn't go so far as to put it in my eyes! But I did use it liberally, including in "sensitive areas" and didn't have any burning--like I did when I used the soap-approved cinnamon red hots!! (I thought I had been set on fire then--it never occurred to me that there could be a problem with an oil that said it was soap safe.)

Thanks for bring up that point--now I'll leave it up to someone else to test it in their eyes!

Jane

The person who created these instructions mentioned that propping up your molds was slightly tricky. My solution for that is a wooden dish drainer--the kind that folds up flat, but opens into a "V" shape for the plates. I just place my clamshells into that "V" and they're propped at an angle!

(It also works well for layered candles.)

HTH,

Jane

• 5 months later...
Someone posted instructions on the old board to make these soaps. Unfortunately, I didn't keep her name, but want to thank her for the help--I made these last night for the first time and love them! (Of course, mine aren't nearly as pretty as hers, but should improve with practice.)

The fish soaps are really cute. Was that real sand you used?