Let's talk Mineral Makeup

Mineral makeup recipes are very hard to find, for me it was more of a trial and error type of thing. I searched all over the net for recipes, but none ever came out the way I wanted. I basically started with a basic formula and started experimenting with recipes then testing on my sister and her friends to see what feel they liked best.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, I have been researching this for the last couple weeks. They have a kit you can get at TKB trading that I am close to ordering. You mix your own. Also been looking at bareminerals, monave and crap--one other place I cannot recall and am wrong computer. It was just recently discussed on the dish. There are some good links there.

I have rosacea and don't usually wear a lot of makeup, thought I would try the foundation for days when I look a bit sunburned :)

Ah, so that might be what caused it! I certainly do not mean to make a comment that you may already be aware of so this isn't meant as an insult in any way. Even with a ton of testing as I am sure the company did there is always someone that has a skin issue that others didn't experience. If your selling you may want to consider having insurance if you don't already. My face was red and blochy and I wasn't very happy:mad: So many people are very particular about their skin and if they had to go to the doctor about it they might want reimbursement for their expense. Back in my super model days I may have wanted reimbursement for my pain and suffering:laugh2: but I just tossed the stuff out and used bendryl cream.

I would bet that's what caused it. No insult taken, I thank you for your input!

Di, the TKB kit is *nice* It has all the little jars you'll need, spatulas, a face mask to wear while you're mixing powders - all it's missing is a brush. I think you'll be pleased with it. You can get foundation, blush, and eye shadow out of it - it comes with all the basic colors as well.

Yes, I've started making it. In the very early process, I don't really know what I'm doing yet :) I got the kit at TKB trading and it has a bunch of recipes. I've also found recipes at makeyourcosmetics.com and sweetscents.com

Thank you Robin, I've been to all those places and a few others. They kind of give you the basics, but not a lot of recipes at all. I think you have to kind of formulate your own and see how it works.

I sure love the way it feels and covers and it's just so light, you don't even know it's on your face.

Mineral makeup recipes are very hard to find, for me it was more of a trial and error type of thing. I searched all over the net for recipes, but none ever came out the way I wanted. I basically started with a basic formula and started experimenting with recipes then testing on my sister and her friends to see what feel they liked best.

Yes they sure are! And I agree, start with a basic and experiment.

Weird, I have been researching this for the last couple weeks. They have a kit you can get at TKB trading that I am close to ordering. You mix your own. Also been looking at bareminerals, monave and crap--one other place I cannot recall and am wrong computer. It was just recently discussed on the dish. There are some good links there.

I have rosacea and don't usually wear a lot of makeup, thought I would try the foundation for days when I look a bit sunburned :)

Ohhh try it Di, I bet you will like it. But watch that it doesn't contain the BISMUTH. Lots of people say it covers their rosacea and even helps it!

Di, the TKB kit is *nice* It has all the little jars you'll need, spatulas, a face mask to wear while you're mixing powders - all it's missing is a brush. I think you'll be pleased with it. You can get foundation, blush, and eye shadow out of it - it comes with all the basic colors as well.

Thanks Robin, that was sorted of what I needed, someone who had tried it and can vouch for it. I am going to order it today. I don't look as it as another hobby, I am classifying it as medical, for my rosacea :shocked2:

Ohhh try it Di, I bet you will like it. But watch that it doesn't contain the BISMUTH. Lots of people say it covers their rosacea and even helps it!

Thanks, I had heard rumors about that so it can't hurt to give it a shot. I have very mild rosacea and usually manage to avoid sun and heat, but on vacation I did not do so well so I look a bit burned now and it annoys me when I keep getting asked if I have a sunburn.

The Zinc Oxide has a natural physical sun-blocking ingredient. So that should help also. It depends how much you put in, as to the SPF though. From what I've read you can use Zinc Oxide as 5% of the formula, but you are allowed to use up to 25%. HTH

I agree with the Bismuth comment above, I don't like that as an ingredient in my products, but then again some like the feel of it. For me, I tried it awhile back when I first tried BareMinerals makeup and it caused my skin to itch and for me to break out even though I was wearing mineral makeup.

I've been using Sheer Cover Mineral Makeup for two years now. It covers up all my freckles I have on my nose and under my eyes. And it's so light, I hardly notice I have anything on. I've noticed it helps with my acne too... I thought my acne days were over... LOL Maybe I should call it "hormonal acne". :grin2: I received a highlighting powder with it.. you can use it on your eyes, lips, cheeks... wherever. It's kind of a light bronze/copper color. Love it. Mystical angel... are you making mineral make-up? Sounds fun!!:yay:

Well I ordered the TKB kit today, with some extra jars and got a kabuki brush off Ebay. This should be fun once I get it. I will let you know how it goes, especially with the rosacea.

Yes please do keep us posted! So far I am loving my minerals and so does my testers!

Chickie~ you definitely have an amazing memory! :highfive:

I never got around to actually making this stuff, yet.

HA! I did order numerous sample kits. Never used anything but the eye makeup as of yet, but I will say the eyeshadows are fantastic. I don't remember the stores I ordered from but one, who was the fastest shipper of the bunch. They have a sampler kit for a penny that gives you 3 foundation choices, 1 concealer, 1 blush and 1 finishing powder. I ordered the small brush with it and the total with shipping was under 7.00 if I remember correctly. If I find the other links I will post them.

http://www.oceanmistcosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=151&parent=0

http://www.signatureminerals.com/free-samples.html

http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=kits

Chickie~ you definitely have an amazing memory! :highfive:

I never got around to actually making this stuff, yet.

HA! I did order numerous sample kits. Never used anything but the eye makeup as of yet, but I will say the eyeshadows are fantastic. I don't remember the stores I ordered from but one, who was the fastest shipper of the bunch. They have a sampler kit for a penny that gives you 3 foundation choices, 1 concealer, 1 blush and 1 finishing powder. I ordered the small brush with it and the total with shipping was under 7.00 if I remember correctly. If I find the other links I will post them.

http://www.oceanmistcosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=151&parent=0

http://www.signatureminerals.com/free-samples.html

http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=kits

I've never tried the mineral eyeshadows... do they stay put well? I have trouble with eyeshadows disappearing on my lids!! I hardly ever where them! Usually by the end of the day... it's almost gone.

If these stay on well... I might have to think about getting me some!!

Darn... what us girls gotta go through to look nice.....LOL:grin2:

• 2 weeks later...
Well I ordered the TKB kit today, with some extra jars and got a kabuki brush off Ebay. This should be fun once I get it. I will let you know how it goes, especially with the rosacea.

Did your kit come? If so have you made anything yet??