Simple Beginner Soap Recipe

Crafty1_AJ

Made my first batch of castile using E's recipe , it's great! Cut it this morning, it's a little on the soft side but is hardening up quite nicely all ready and couldn't resist trying some, it lathers wonderful and no slimy feeling.

Thanks E, for posting your recipe and your help.

So happy to help! This is one that I will never stop making. Sensitive and allergic people are very grateful.

True story, MaryinCary's grandaughter (age 4) was suffering from skin problems. Dr. told her to switch soap (I forget what brand he recommended, but it had a ton of stuff in it). Instead, Mary ordered castile soap from me for her. Her skin cleared right up.

I told Mary "you can do this" and another addict was born! :laugh2:

ROFLMAO that is too funny.

You think that's funny - I met the woman for lunch a week ago and now all I think about is soap soap soap. I spent the next 2 days frantically seeking lye cause I couldn't bear the thought of waiting for someone to ship it to me. I'm in the learning stage, so I now have 2 batches of the world's simplest (no FO, no color, only 2 oils) soaps basking in the warmth of my garage while a third is sitting cut on my kitchen table.

I am not working, so I could have kept the kids home with me yesterday and today, but noooooooo they had to go to daycare cause I HAD to make soap!

No, it's not funny.

You think that's funny - I met the woman for lunch a week ago and now all I think about is soap soap soap. I spent the next 2 days frantically seeking lye cause I couldn't bear the thought of waiting for someone to ship it to me. I'm in the learning stage, so I now have 2 batches of the world's simplest (no FO, no color, only 2 oils) soaps basking in the warmth of my garage while a third is sitting cut on my kitchen table.

I am not working, so I could have kept the kids home with me yesterday and today, but noooooooo they had to go to daycare cause I HAD to make soap!

No, it's not funny.

I'm sorry, but now i just think it's even funnier....lol, I can see you just HAD to make soap.. i'm the same way but I have to wait for my scales then suss out ingredients from somewhere...

And besides as for the kids going to daycare just consider it good quality alone time something i think absolutely every mother in the world needs. My father in law told me i should get out of the houe by myself at least once a day even if it's just for half an hour or so... Hello if i was to go to the garage lock it and make soaps yes i'd be quite happy to be out of the house :D

It is addicting, I wanted to make more today but didn get the chance I was a bit under the weather, hubby did make me some log boxes though :) so maybe tomorrow I can try some cp... cograts carol!!!! Wish you would post us some photos:D

True story, MaryinCary's grandaughter (age 4) was suffering from skin problems. Dr. told her to switch soap (I forget what brand he recommended, but it had a ton of stuff in it). Instead, Mary ordered castile soap from me for her. Her skin cleared right up.

I told Mary "you can do this" and another addict was born! :laugh2:

Boy is that ever an understatement! LOL

My GD still uses Castile exclusively and has yet to have another break out (thankfully). Wonderful wonderful stuff....thanks again E! :D

Mine is aging right now. I cannot wait to get my son into the tub with it! I'd let him use it "as is" but the texture might turn him off, and you know how stubborn a 7 year old can be.

I did turn scraps into liquid soap, though, that I put by the sink for him to use on his hands. Let's see how that goes.

Oh, and my daughter has terrible eczema on her wrists sometimes too!

Hi,

I made a 2lb version of Eugenia's recipe with a 5% discount on Sunday morning. No fragrance was added. Poured it into my mold when trace looked like thick pudding (which seemed to take forever - will try deeper discount next time - like carolgrant). I took it out of the mold about 30 minutes ago to cut it (so, it's been 62.5 hours since poured). It is opaque on the outside, but marbled on the inside. Is it possibly still in the gel phase? Or, is this typical of castile soap?

I kept out the few pieces I cut and put them into my curing area, but re-wrapped up the rest. Did I do anything wrong?

I washed my hands with some scraps, got lather and lived to tell the tale.

Michelle

That's what mine looked like - I tasted like a mad woman to be sure no active lye.

I left the sliced soap out and it's (slowly) whitening up over time. Not sure if that was what I was supposed to do or not but it seems to be working.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to try this recipe tonight and I just got back from the store to buy lard and not really thinking bought lard that doesn't require refrigeration. Now I'm wondering if I can use it. It's made by Armour and the ingredient list is

Lard and Hydrogenated Lard

BHA

Propyl Gallate and Citric Acid added to help protect flavor.

Thanks. I just recall when I used to manage grocery stores that we kept the lard in the refrigerated section. I was worried that the citric acid etc, might cause problems. I really don't need my ingredients working against me on my very first batch of soap. :undecided I'm stressed enough as it is.

Hi,

I made a 2lb version of Eugenia's recipe with a 5% discount on Sunday morning. No fragrance was added. Poured it into my mold when trace looked like thick pudding (which seemed to take forever - will try deeper discount next time - like carolgrant).

Michelle

Castile can be fairly soft at first. I use a 33% lye solution and it hardens up pretty quickly for me (meaning 6 weeks, not 6 months, LOL).

e

Thanks. I just recall when I used to manage grocery stores that we kept the lard in the refrigerated section. I was worried that the citric acid etc, might cause problems. I really don't need my ingredients working against me on my very first batch of soap. :undecided I'm stressed enough as it is.

Aw, hun, just relax and you'll do fine! :) Happy soaping -- let us hear how it turns out! :D

technically castile is 100% olive oil - but that doesn't lather so well so most make a bastardized version (I've seen it called bastile) with castor oil or others to up the lather a bit.

BTW, I've read it can take a good 4 MONTHS of curing for a castile to be ready to go.