How to officially name a business

OK, I'm pretty much settled that someday I'll call my line that I sell directly Carol's Naturals. Not very original, but somehow it speaks to me. And possibly use Natural Cache for the stuff I'm going to be selling to the local spa/salon.

But now what? How do I find out if those are ok to use in NJ? How do I make them my own?

Jeepers, this was just supposed to be a little hobby to fill my days while I am looking for that next job... :)

Here's what you can do.

You can either

go to your City Clerks office and register locally as a DBA (Doing Business As)

Or

Go to your state site (Mine is www.Mich.gov) and you should be able to find out how you register with the state. You can do a Corp, LLC, or just an assumed name (which is like a DBA) and more. It will be registered with the state.

Here's what I found out for you.

http://www.nj.gov/njbgs/

You should be able to click on the link and it take you directly to where you need to go. If it doesn't, go to www.nj.gov and click on the drop down box-Online Services at the top left and go to Business Services.

Here you will be able to check if your name is available and register it with your state. I didn't check, but it should only be about $25.00-$50.00, depending on if you become an LLC or not.

Hope this helps

Tracy

You can register as a Corp online. As an indivuidual, you need to register in person, at the County Courthouse. It's an archaic process with giant ledgers full of business names. Check out www.nj.gov for all the info. You can research the name there.

It's a two part process. Once you register the name, you have to regiester with the tax department for sales tax purposes. That can be done on-line.

e