Golden Shea vs Unrefined Shea

This was posted from one of my coop participants and thought we might get a better response here - TIA!

What's the difference between golden shea and unrefined shea? Or what is so special about golden shea? I am just curious since I've never used it and wondering if I need to try it.

From Agbanga Karite's site

Kpangnan is the butter from the African Butter Tree (Pentadesma butyracea), and has been sold in the west under the name of Golden Shea Butter or Yellow Shea Butter.

In fact, the African Butter Tree is a completely different species of tree that grows along the rivers in central Togo. Shea trees grow in the open savanna. In contrast, African Butter trees grown in the dense gallery forests along the rivers and streams where water is abundant. Kpangnan is the local name in central Togo for this butter, which is used for traditional skin care. While this butter is popular because of its bright yellow color, its unsaponifiable value is not as high as that of shea butter.

Hope that helps you out!

devlee

The graininess melts away on the skin, but i"m working on massage bars and it reappears in those so it makes the surface a bit odd. Don't like it.

Interested in seeing what I get from the coop.

That's what my organic refined looked like from CF. Very grainy though I must say, I used it in a scrub and the graininess when away after melting.

Wow, nothing like a picture to help. SYR which IYO is the better of the two? and is their any other types of shea butter out there? Or are these two the main reputable ones?

I'm learning lots about shea today :cool2:

Depending on what you want from it.

I love the green shea for soaps. I'm not fond of not being about to cover the scent for whipped shea.

The Golden Shea I like for B&B. No distinct scent and it feels alot different. Not a greasy feel. More talc like.

There is refined white shea. While I have used it, it will go grainy and I don't like it as well as the unrefined.

Then there is Shealoe. A combination of Shea & Aloe.

It is white and refined. No scent. Love this stuff.. bout time i order more as I am running low. I buy this in bulk to save some $$.

I use it in lotions and such. Where I want both and don't have to add seperate ingredients.

The general public likes the words Shea & Aloe.

They like seeing it on the label.

HTH you some.

The graininess melts away on the skin, but i"m working on massage bars and it reappears in those so it makes the surface a bit odd. Don't like it.

Interested in seeing what I get from the coop.

Did you try shealoe in your lotion bars? You would have to up the beeswax or other hard oil, but it may work for ya. Just watch you temps.. melt everything else first.. then when it starts cooling down, but enough to beat in the shealoe, add it then. It would be best to use a preservative though.

Shealoe is basically equal parts of each. However, aloe is 50% water so you should take that into consideration.

I actually LOVE the shealoe from FNWL, but never thought about adding it to lotion bars. I have people lined up the door to get the stuff from me. I sell it straight - in very small jars with a solid warning about using it NOW, keeping it clean and dry, etc.

I just ordered 5# which shold arrive today - cannot wait to try it out in the lotion bars. Do you think just the shealoe and the beeswax or some oils too? What do you think?

I actually LOVE the shealoe from FNWL, but never thought about adding it to lotion bars. I have people lined up the door to get the stuff from me. I sell it straight - in very small jars with a solid warning about using it NOW, keeping it clean and dry, etc.

I just ordered 5# which shold arrive today - cannot wait to try it out in the lotion bars. Do you think just the shealoe and the beeswax or some oils too? What do you think?

Dernit - something new to try!!! You shoulda told me you were ordering - I could've traded you some the shealoe for the shea you're getting! Because of course everyone know's they're supposed to check in with me before they order anything at all LOL!! ;)

Dernit - something new to try!!! You shoulda told me you were ordering - I could've traded you some the shealoe for the shea you're getting! Because of course everyone know's they're supposed to check in with me before they order anything at all LOL!! ;)

Ain't that the truth!

Next time you do a herbarie order, hollar at me. LMAO! :P

Well, live and learn!!!

But I'm already addicted, so the opportunity will arise again.

And, um, ditto - by the way!

How much did you pay for 5#? If you got it from FNWL.. OUCH!

When i buy in bulk it usually runs about $6.00/lb. I freeze mine for future use, but if anyone wants some, let me know.

Yea it is expensive, but it's so goregous I'm afraid to look at others! I paid $34 for 4#.

I'd love to see what yours looks like - where did you get it? - do you think it would hold up ok for shipping?

Oh and FNWL strongly recommended letting it come to RT before opening if I refrigerate it to avoid condensation. Never thought about freezing - your holds up ok through that?

Well, the learning never stops!

You know, I think we should set up meetings where everyone brings some of what we got from where and do a giant compare of pros, cons, and appropriate uses!

i just got 10lb of unrefined shea from bamboulaltd.com their soap grade as they call it looks just like singleyellowroses pic of the unrefined green shea.

it is soft, smooth and creamy no grainy feeling. it's on sale for $2.00lb.

only problem i had to e-mail them about shipping and they said it would be $10.15 to my zip code and it ended up being $12.33, it's ok though i will definetly order from them again. the also have ivory, beige, yellow, i had a question about the different ones and they sent me free samples.

I think i would try

1/3 beeswax

1/3 Cocoa Butter

1/3 Shealoe

See if that is to your liking and then go from there.

I wouldn't increase the beeswax though from 1/3, cuz it can cause drag on the skin.

HTH

Oh yea, I've played the beeswax game. Gets nasty tacky if you up it too far!

I'll give it a shot!

• 2 weeks later...
I think i would try

1/3 beeswax

1/3 Cocoa Butter

1/3 Shealoe

See if that is to your liking and then go from there.

I wouldn't increase the beeswax though from 1/3, cuz it can cause drag on the skin.

HTH

Didn't work so well - the water part of the aloe oozing out I think. Would e-wax help in a situation like this do you think? How do you use the stuff? How much?

Oh MY MIND IS NUMB! I should be drunk now. Instead on on my bed, alone with my laptop. Sober.