!?How to cut a 10lb block of paraffin!?!

Oh my.. Ok. I figured out the wick thing. How do I break up a 10lb block of paraffin?? Without dropping it on the kitchen floor and waking the world.

Or is there ANY way I can use Soy and add universal additive or Vybar 103 and have that work for tiny tapers??

I put mine in the freezer to get hard then I...

***Wack it w/ the hammer - I love doing this, especially after one of those days at work!!! :yay: Or you can go outside and drop it on the concrete a few times. Make sure you wrap it up w/ an old pillow case or something so wax won't go flying everywhere.

If the wax is hard just put it in a bag and throw it against the steps OUTSIDE and it should crumble.

If its soft like J223, my hubby suggested using a long wire coil with a hook on each end to hold and then then cut that way.

I put mine in the freezer to get hard then I...

***Wack it w/ the hammer - I love doing this, especially after one of those days at work!!! :yay: Or you can go outside and drop it on the concrete a few times. Make sure you wrap it up w/ an old pillow case or something so wax won't go flying everywhere.

Totally agree Andrea, I wrap mine up too and lean it slanted against my back steps then whack it with a hammer a few times.

I use a 30/70 blend that you can cut with a fork. I LOVE nice soft waxes.......mine is not quite as soft as the Red Flower candle line (LOVE this line!), but it is soft.

Would that work with tapers? How much vybar to you have to use? Did you get the idea from the RF tapers? I don't know that brand. Where do you buy them? Are they expensive?

To cut up hard slabs, I put them in a bag and drop them from up high onto concrete. Then I use a hammer and screwdriver for smaller pieces, or a hammer and an icepick.

For soft slabs, I use a pastry blade. It works great. Distributes the pressure all along the handle so you don't kill your hands. I used to use an old butter knife but that was rough ... all the pressure is concentrated in one spot and I would get bruises and broken blood vessels all the time. The pastry blade works MUUUUUCCCCHHH better!

I use soy ,so most of what I recieve is in flake form. Please forgive me if this is a stupid "?"....Would a hot knife work well on cutting pariffin blocks?

You're headed in the right direction! A hot knife would be a bit small to easily work with, but I do take plain old paint scrapers with metal blades and heat those up with the heat gun and cut slabs that way. That's if the wax is too soft to just be able to break easily though.

I use soy ,so most of what I recieve is in flake form. Please forgive me if this is a stupid "?"....Would a hot knife work well on cutting pariffin blocks?

It will work as long as you don't mind cleaning up the melted wax that will drip down while your cutting it. Makes a mess. Hot knifes are better used for Gel