To be truthful the abbreviations confuse me..just like your

post..what is IPM? lol :confused:

I think I am hooked and haven't even made anything yet..:laugh2:

But I think I will give this lotion a try..I love good lotions.:grin2:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IPM is Isopropyl Myristate. It helps the oils feel like they are absorbing into the skin quicker and helps cut the greasy or oily feeling. It kind of leaves a dry velvety feel to the skin.

When I make something that just feels greasy or oily to me, I add some IPM to it. It seems to help. It is an inexpensive additive that I couldn't be without lol.

Well this was the first thing I made from scratch and I wasn't aware of so many suppliers out there. I just wanted to get them ordered lol I ordered from MMS www.thesage.com They are in Utah so it took me a week to get my order here in TN. They do have great prices and a great supply list to choose from.

Where do you live? I am sure we can point you to a supplier closer to you.

• 3 months later...

I just have to say, I tried this recipe with a few modifications and.... Holy Moly!! This stuff is awesome! I have horribly dry skin that is extremely sensitive and normally when I put lotion or cream on it just soaks in and 30 minutes - 2 hours later, my skin feels dry again! This stuff glides on so easily, soaks in quickly, and keeps my skin feeling soft and moisturized forever! You can tell that it's not just a quick fix like most stuff out there, it's actually moisturizing and healing to your skin! Here's what I modified...

15.6 ozs Water

1.5 ozs Palm Steric

1.5 ozs Beeswax (That's what I had)

7 ozs Olive OIl

.5 ozs castor oil

2.5 ozs shea butter

.5 ozs cocoa butter

.20 ozs coconut oil

.3 ozs FO Gardenia

.10 ozs Vit E

.15 ozs cornstarch

I didn't have any preservative besides vit e but this will be used quickly and just for me, so hopefully it will be ok! I wanted to also say thanks for the new addiction, because now that I know how good homemade beauty products are i'm not going back!!

I had to search out this post again now that the cold has really hit here in Pa. Gotta make a batch of this yummy stuff. No one answered the preservative question a ways back I guess. I was curious also. I used Phenonip last time I did this as I don't have the one called for. We didn't get any noticible nasties before we used the whole batch up. My daughter has really dry skin and loves this recipe-said she can't bear to use the crummy store stuff any more. She loves the Jovan White Musk dupe fom Willowoods-so got to get some made for her for Christmas. She diid love our Backwoods Rice Flower & Shea that I made for her last time though-said I can make her that scent anytime I want- and she is one picky chic!! I think I will try Orange Chocolate Truffle in mine. Anyone more experienced in lotions care to chime in on the preservative question??

Glo

I use Liquipar or Germall Plus as well. I still have a jar from the first batch I ever made (6 or 7 months ago). It has held up wonderfully. This is the only stuff my daughter will wear. I didn't wear it during the summer but back to using it again since the cold weather has kicked in. My daughter swore by it this summer after her tanning sessions.

I made a batch of this up last night. I scented it with Poison (have to make a gift basket up with all Poison items so figured I would give this one a try). It came out very nice but is very thick, is it suppose to be so thick and got hard. Not hard where you have to use a knife to pry it out of the jar or anything. I just am not sure how hard and how thick it is suppose to be. I would take a picture of it but I can't post any pictures, my computer is all messed up! Does anyone have a picture they can post of it so I can see what it is suppose to look like? The one I made also feels very nice after rubbing it into the skin, NO GREASY FEELING at all, which I love!

Thank-you for posting this recipe. I also added a little mica for sparkle!

Devil Woman

• 1 month later...

I made this recipe twice so far but now I am the opposite, I'd like it to be just a tad thicker, what would I change to accompish this? Is it the steric acid? I used a stick blender when making this, should I be using a kitchenaid to mix this to get a thicker consistency? Or does it matter? I first started out using a hand mixer but it did not get blended as well, so I used the stick blender and that seemed to work good, I have a kitchenaid but use that for baking so I didnt know if I wanted to convert it to B&B items yet.

Any help would be so appreciated :smiley2:

Sandy~Wi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cindy,

Can the Dry Flo be substituted with anything or will it change the texture? If I order anything else my husband is gonna kill me:tiptoe: I love this site, I am having a ball do something for the first time that I truly enjoy and watching you girls do a fantastic job with your creations. Connie

• 10 months later...

Gotta give this a much needed bump-it's that time of year. My DD has been begging for another batch. Her skin is so dry that her shoulders are cracking.:( She insists nothing will help but Mommy's homemade body butter. So I'm doing 2 batches today. Can't say how wonderful this recipe is. Thanks so much Cindy for posting this.

Glo