flash point

bella soy

I got a sample Fo from GL yesterday and the Flash point was 141 F. Now I did some searches on the site to try to find out exactly what this means for us chandlers...I found out that this means if the FO by itself comes in contact with a flame or spark that it will ignite. My question is...does this mean that if the wick get hotter than 141 F ( and im not sure if thats possible or not) that the candle could combust??? I was very very scared last nite when i poured this Fo because I was adding it to wax that was 195F. And was scared I was going to start a fire.

Well - first, the label says its > 141 - which is for shipping purposes and to keep labeling costs down. All of our oils are over 140 FP so as not to violate any shipping regulations. Actual FP of our oils is on our web site - and they are above 141 as the label states. Many are way above.

Easy definition of Flashpoint - The flashpoint refers to the temperature a fragrance oil would have to be in order to catch fire when coming into contact with a spark or an open flame. For example, if a fragrance oil has a flashpoint of 170, the oil would have to reach a minimum temperature of 170 degrees before it could catch fire when touching a flame. This does not mean that you cannot allow your candle wax to reach a higher temperature than the oil's flashpoint, it only pertains to the oil itself coming into contact with an open flame or spark. It is perfectly safe to allow your wax to heat up to whatever pouring temperature you need even if you are using a fragrance oil with a lower flashpoint - as long as you don't have an open flame or spark in the area when making the candle.

If you have stirred your candles well and no FO separation has occurred - then the flashpoint of the combined product is much higher since candle wax carries a 4-500+ degree flashpoint and a majority of your finished product is mainly candle wax.

HTH - let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I just got the same FO shipment from GL and ran online to check before pouring my FO into 180 degree wax!

So it is OK to pour it into the high temp melted wax?

BTW what smell did you get? I got Vanilla Sugar and mixing it with rose.