Peppermint/Spearmint Tooth Soap

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on Robin don't leave us hanging like that :drool: This sounds so C:cool2: :cool2:L You are going to explain this a little more..... right!? :naughty:

I just went to your site and checked it out. That is just TOO NEAT!!

I think that it is awesome!

Your creativity is an inspiration Robin!

The only thing that came to mind is the fluoride issue.... I think that if it were me selling it I would recommend that people use a fluoride rinse to make sure that they are getting fluoride to help prevent cavities.... (I used to be a dental asst.).

judyvegas- LMAO! Toothpaste is soap!! :)

Ok Robin.. Just read the long tooth soap thread on the dish. Ya know, I sometimes wonder if ya'll do all this to see how many people will follow along...lol

Only all eo soap I have is brand spankin new, so I guess I've got to wait a bit!

No wait.. I've got an orange spice bar from Sawyers Moon.. Will have to PM her and see if it's all eo's!

Yup, it was the soap dish thread that got me interested. Then I did a bit of research. The doc that started this is Dr Judd, or at least he's one of them I guess. His web page is kind of a quacky rant ;) but it gives you something to think about http://gerardjudd.com/goodteeth.htm He's trying to sell his book, but there is some interesting science there.

I just went along at first cuz I thought everyone was crazy (like I did with the deep cleansing oil lol) , but I can actually tell a difference in my teeth. They feel smoother, are a bit whiter, and my morning mouth is really cut down! Just that makes it worth it :)

I started out with one of my old lavender & tea tree eo (gotta be EO, you don't want FOs for this) soaps, that tasted pretty ucky. But this new one I did doesn't have much taste at all, actually.

One trick I've learned - the soap taste seems to come when it hits the taste buds in the back of your throat - so if you keep your tongue up in the back top of your throat, kind of blocking that area, there's no problem with taste.

Just wet your toothbrush and rub it on the soap a few times, then brush as usual.

Oh yes, I've been using Tooth Soap for a few weeks now. I got it from here.

But I paid $40 for a little jar of tooth soap shreds plus her book. (You have to buy the book with your first order.) That woman is making a killing. I'm not paying $20 for a little jar of tooth soap in the future to keep up this habit. I know I said I'd never make my own soap, but I would learn how just to make this.

I love using tooth soap. I will never go back to toothpaste. I love the fact that it contains no flouride. It makes my teeth feel so clean, and I don't have morning breath! It's much more gentle to my mouth, and it doesn't leave that filmy coating that toothpaste does.

Even my kids use it. My oldest son(13) read the book, (he even read some of it aloud to his little brother(10) and then he went and threw the toothpaste tube in the trash! It's not too bad if you try to keep it off your tongue. The shreds look like shredded cheese, and you use one shred per brushing. Very cool!

BTW, your soap is lovely, and I love the labels!

*Edited because I think I sounded too harsh towards the Tooth Soap woman and I didn't mean to! *And* to add what I thought of your soap, which was the whole reason for this thread in the first place...

I've been using an old bar of lavender eo soap to brush my teeth for about the last month. A word of warning. DO NOT brush your teeth with soap if you have a hangover. It isn't pretty. My teeth are a tad whiter but they feel wonderful. My gums are doing great and my teeth are smoother. I can't wait to go for a cleaning to find out what they are really like.

I've never heard of this before! But it makes sense.

I think I'll try it brushing this morning with frosty lime soap. My husband will think I've gone over the edge. :wink2:

What a cool little bar you've posted!

It isn't suggested to do it with MP - too many other things in there. I've heard of people using FOs, bit most are horrifyingly icky, and you don't know what's in them, so I wouldn't. Straight soap and EOs are really what you need to do it right.

Nope, it really doesn't taste like soap :) You smell the peppermint/spearmint, but you don't taste it, actually, which is kind of disappointing. Next I think I'm going to try a clove/orange - Bunnys idea sounds good.

Robin this is so cool (did I already say that :cool2: ). I need to re-register at the dish I emailed them last week as I couldn't remember my password and Kim (I think that's who it was) emailed back saying I'd probably have to re-register.:cry2:

Is this a regular recipe or should certain oils/butters not be used?

And can you add fluoride after trace??

MaryAnn, her ingredients, which are listed on her website, are saponified coconut, palm, and olive oils and essential oil. That's it. I would think you could use any basic soap recipe.

I guess you could add flouride if you wanted, but the main reason many people use tooth soap is because it doesn't have flouride in it. (Because flouride is toxic, and one of the main thrusts of her book is that it is believed flouride actually contributes to cavities.) Controversial, to be sure, but there it is. She also makes many other suggestions for healthy teeth. This is all based pretty much on her research of the dr. who someone linked to earlier in the thread. (Can't remember his name...) Very interesting reading.

HTH!

Becca

I think it sounds pretty interesting. We actually don't need flouride in our toothpaste since we have it our water. Flouride can be very toxic and women, from the ages 30 to the 40's can start having kind of an allerigic reaction to flouride which will result in a horrible rash that is extremely hard to get rid of. I had this horrible rash around my mouth that I just couldn't get rid of so I went to the doctor. I was prescribed some prescription strength hydracortisone cream. At first the rash seemed like it was getting better but then it came back even worse. So I ended up going to a dermatologist where I was diagnosed with a condition called Pari Dermatitis. I was on antibiotics for a few months and had to use a cream called MetroCream to get rid of it. It's a really tough rash to get rid of too and can take months. The dermatologist told me that she sees on an average of 7 women a week with this condition. It's caused by 1. just having a baby (that wasn't me); 2 birth control (again - not me - no need cuz for them as I'm too old and have had that wonderful surgery!!) or 3, too much flouride.

Flouride also was the cause of my friend's hair falling out. She moved to the country where she is on well water and no longer has the problem.

Love your packaging Robin. Nice job.