Preservatives in Lip balm???

Should a preservative be used in lip balm?

At first I thought"NO" because it does not come into contact with water.

Then again, it is a multi use product so I would have to say yes!

Can someone chime in, please. Thanks!

Vitamin E is not a preservative...it's an antioxidant which can help prolong the shelf life of an oil but won't keep away the ickies if water is introduced into your product.

I do not preserve my lip balms but I do think there are a couple that are considered GRAS and could be used.

Jen

Vitamin E is not a preservative...it's an antioxidant which can help prolong the shelf life of an oil but won't keep away the ickies if water is introduced into your product.

I do not preserve my lip balms but I do think there are a couple that are considered GRAS and could be used.

Jen

That's right it is antioxidant which is a perservative. Here's a link and I posted another one for some researching.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp

SP

Taken from that website...

Vitamin E (d-alpha Tocopherol): This is a powerful antioxidant used in preserving oils and keeping them from going rancid. Be aware that there is a synthetic on the market called variously Tocopherol, Alpha Tocopherol and/or Tocopherol Acetate.

Which is pretty much what I said in regards to prolonging the shelf life of an oil (ie keep it from going rancid).

The website does start with the phrase "We believe..' so sorry - doesn't lend much credence.

Jen

FNWL is saying the same thing as I...it does extend the shelf life of your oils but that is not the same as introducing water to your product.

From FNWL

T-50 Vitamin E Oil

Vitamin E contains natural antioxidants which extend the life of your products. Gamma tocopherol, a component of Vitamin E, is a great antioxidant for protecting cosmetic formulations. T-50 has a larger amount of gamma tocopherols than other forms of Vitamin E oil.

While the alpha tocopherol in the 250, 1000, and 1400IU/g oils is wonderful as an in vitro antioxidant, studies show that the gamma tocopherol in the Vitamin E T-50 oil is a better antioxidant for oils/lipids in cosmetic formulations. T-50 has a higher content of gamma tocopherols and can be used at a rate of .04% or 400ppm to adequately protect your oils.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are afraid of germies from the mouth and preserving lip balms due to that (meaning not something to preserve oils/butters), liqupar (plain regular liquapar-not optima, not pe) is safe for use in lip products.

I understand the confusion witht the term preservative.

Vitamin E is an anti-oxident that helps to keep the oils from going bad. It preserves the oils.

Most people think of a preservative as an additive that will keep the little nasties from growing.

IMO, both are correct uses of the term, however, just like ounce and fluid ounce, there will always be some confusion

I understand the confusion witht the term preservative.

Vitamin E is an anti-oxident that helps to keep the oils from going bad. It preserves the oils.

Most people think of a preservative as an additive that will keep the little nasties from growing.

IMO, both are correct uses of the term, however, just like ounce and fluid ounce, there will always be some confusion

That was my point but you explained much better then I did:cheesy2:

SP