Pock Marks in Square Pillar

I made a square watermelon pillar last night. It is the first time I have made a square pillar. I have made about 4 or 5 round pillars already. Now...I used 1 lb of complete pillar wax, and I added a little more than 1/4 tsp vybar and 1 teaspoon of mold release. I used 1 oz scent, and 1/2 block of pink dye.

I heated the mold to about 180 - 190 *F before I poured and I did the first pour at about 190*F.

After I poured it, I tapped the sides LOTS. I then put it in the oven to let it cool slowly. After it was about halfway cooled, I left it on the counter.

Ok....now my problem, lol. I have some little air bubbles on the sides, which most look like indents now. THe bottom 1/4 of the candle has the most air bubbles, and the very bootm (which is the top of the candle) is full of them.

What did I do wrong, and what should I do differently next time? I am going to melt this one down and try it again.

The only time I've gotten pockmarked pillars was when I added excess oil (mineral oil, to be exact -- I added it on purpose to get the effect intentionally). The excess oil caused the pocks. Any chance that could be your problem? Scale funky on oil weight, for example?

Leave the mold at room temperature for pouring and cooling. All that extra heat was way too much and your fragrance oil was probably bubbling right out of the mixture.

Ahhhh!! Ok...see? This is the 1st time that I have warmed the mold, because the last pillar I made, it ended up looking rustic, lol. But that was a chunk pillar.

So it will be ok to melt down the pillar and try again?

I used 1 lb of complete pillar wax, and I added a little more than 1/4 tsp vybar and 1 teaspoon of mold release.

I make pillers and don't need mold release, vybar makes wax shrink and release from the mold. IMO - I would not use the mold release additive just oil the mold.

Ahhhh!! Ok...see? This is the 1st time that I have warmed the mold, because the last pillar I made, it ended up looking rustic, lol. But that was a chunk pillar.

So it will be ok to melt down the pillar and try again?

Sure, go for it.

It can be tricky getting a smooth finish on a chunk pillar because the mold is full of cold chunks that make the temperature of the wax plummet. Not a problem at all with a plain Vybar pillar. You can even pour a little cooler if you like but 190 works too.

Also agree with Candle Man. You won't need the mold release additive at all with this sort of candle. When it's cool it will fall into your hand.

I make Pillars also using 4625 and I dont add anything and I pour @ 175 for a shiney pillar. it releases on its own very well and I DO heat my mold just a little with my heat gun. and I also wrap a towel around my pillar to cool SLOWLY,,,,;)

Edited to add: Didnt know it was a chunk candle,,,had to re-read,,and Top is right,,,the wax was to hot and the FO wax bubbling,,I have done that a lot,,,I re-melt mine if they get this,,,and pour @ 175,,,,

Ok great! This was also my first time using mold release. So what do I use the mold release for then?

My round pillars usually turn out good, and I never used any additives with them, I should have just left well enough alone, lol.

Sure, go for it.

It can be tricky getting a smooth finish on a chunk pillar because the mold is full of cold chunks that make the temperature of the wax plummet. Not a problem at all with a plain Vybar pillar. You can even pour a little cooler if you like but 190 works too.

Also agree with Candle Man. You won't need the mold release additive at all with this sort of candle. When it's cool it will fall into your hand.

It wasn't clear to me if you were using a preblended pillar wax or straight paraffin. If it's plain paraffin you do need the additive, but with a preblend you can leave out the Vybar. There's already something similar added to the wax for you.

With plain wax and Vybar it's unusual to need mold release, but now I'm not sure exactly what you're working with. If you have trouble demolding candles then go ahead and experiment with it. It shouldn't do any harm regardless. Otherwise keep it around and maybe it'll come in handy sometime.

Personally I pour a little hotter than Breanna and avoid warming molds whenever possible. It seems simpler and more reliable to me, but everyone has their way of doing things.

Ok great! This was also my first time using mold release. So what do I use the mold release for then?

My round pillars usually turn out good, and I never used any additives with them, I should have just left well enough alone, lol.

do the Square's same as you do your Rounds, I think you have a Blend the way it sounds. I do my Squares the same as my Rounds.

I do not like pouring hot either because I do get the bubbles so I pour at 175.

Let us know how that works. Also Top is a person to read his posts,,he knows his Chandling!!!! I have learned a great deal from him!!!! I :bow: down to EXCELLENCE!!!!! ;)

I am using 4625 Complete Pillar Paraffin. I did remelt it and tried again, and it was alot better, but there was still a few bubbles and indents. I am going to try another pillar tomorrow without adding anything, like I should have done the 1st time, lol.

About the dye block...yes...I thought it was alot too, It was #2 pink dye block from CanWax, and even with 1/2 the block, it is still only about a medium pink. I think I will stick to my liquid dye, but I have heartd it can make the candles smell funny, so I dunno, lol.

i am paranoid to pour too cool because I am worried about jump lines, but maybe I will try pouring at 175 tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'll let you know what happens with the next one.

I am using 4625 Complete Pillar Paraffin. I did remelt it and tried again, and it was alot better, but there was still a few bubbles and indents. I am going to try another pillar tomorrow without adding anything, like I should have done the 1st time, lol.

i am paranoid to pour too cool because I am worried about jump lines, but maybe I will try pouring at 175 tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'll let you know what happens with the next one.

Hi Kat,,,You wont get jump lines unless you pour your re-pour all the way up,,,you stop just before it gets to the top of the last pour if this makes sense, then level it after you un-mold it,,,remember the bottom is the top....HTH