Double Wicking

I posted this question yesterday in the General section, but didn't receive any replies, so I am going to try it here to see if I have better luck with it.

I recently purchased some jars from BCN and know I will probably have to double wick these babies. I have already tried a few different single wicks with no luck at all with these. This is what they look like:

http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail_feature.cfm?queries_index=inde x5&title_bar=16oz%20Country%20Comfort%20Jar&Produc t_CatalogID=2732&ProductNumber=g3497J&ProductCodeI D=47&ProductSubCodeID=203

16 oz. Country Comfort Jar (looks like an apothecary jar)

70/30 Perfect Blend

1 color dye chip

1 oz. per lb. fragrance oil

I know a lot of you double wick this size jar and was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on what size and kind of wicks you all use to make them burn properly. I have tried 2 LX16's and got a full melt pool in less than an hour and after two hours the melt pool was about an inch deep. Started out with a good flame, but after awhile, they were real puny and just about drowned out.

Any help from some of you experienced chandlers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

:whistle:

Why not just continue your testing? Since the melt pool was too fast and too deep with LX 16 you can conclude that you should wick down from there.

To make testing easier while you zero in on a size you can pour without wicks and just poke them in. Level the surface when changing sizes.

Hi,

Is the Perfect Blend the Perfect Blend from Greenleaf? If so, which batch is it? I have tested the #3 batch and found that it was good with double wicking -- did not get too deep of a meltpool too quick. However, my jars are not the same as yours. The jar I tested it in is 3 1/4 inches from side to side and then 4 inches from corner to corner. I used 2 Hemp Lg. + and the flames were not too big and did not get too small later in the burn. The LX's may burn hotter than the Hemps, but I am not sure. I never seem to have much luck with LX's for one reason or the other so I am not real knowledgeable on the LX's.

If you are testing the #4 batch, then it may be that it burns faster than what I tested. Brenda from Greenleaf told me that we would get a better meltpool with batch #4 than batch #3. This is a good thing with single wicking, but could cause the meltpool to get too deep too fast with double wicking. This is not be good for my situation since I double wick.

Keep testing. Try other types of wicks. You might want to try the Hemps or the RRD's. I will be ordering the batch #4 soon. I will let you know how it goes for me if this is what you are testing.

~Holly :cool2:

Usually when I get weak flames later in the burn, I have to wick up or change the type of wick. But who knows, maybe using a smaller wick will work for you. Wicking down will slow the meltpool down but it may not help the weak flames that you got later in the burn. I have tested many waxes in the past and found that no matter what I did the meltpool would get too deep too quick. If I would wick down then the flames would be too small. I found that some waxes just were not right for my type of jars for double wicking. If the smaller wick does not help, try a different kind of wick. Keep us posted. :cool2:

Hi Holly.

I am wondering what size wick you are using in your jars? (tureen and square footed apothecary) I have been testing the tureens, and read that you also use this jar in your soy. I use ky125, and it is such an easy wax to work with. I have thought about testing the greanleaf, but am not sure I want to with all the inconsistancies in the batches. That scares me!

Hi Holly.

I am wondering what size wick you are using in your jars? (tureen and square footed apothecary) I have been testing the tureens, and read that you also use this jar in your soy. I use ky125, and it is such an easy wax to work with. I have thought about testing the greanleaf, but am not sure I want to with all the inconsistancies in the batches. That scares me!

Hi Creative,

The tureens are not my main jars, but I have tested them with the soy that I use (CB-3 Calsoy). I have used the RRD's in them and they work great -- RRD 40's and 37's the most. I have only tested the heavier fall scents so far in the tureens with the soy. I use both the RRD's and the Hemps for my other main jars. Both of these wicks work great. I have not used the Hemps in the Square Footed one yet but use the RRD's in them so far and they work real well.

I tested the KY-125 briefly and really liked the look of it but for some reason I got weak flames later in the burn with several candles. I decided to stick with the CB-3 Calsoy and put up with the frosting (not real bad....but still some frosting) and the repours. I also use a paraffin blend but can only use it in the tureens (burns the cleanest in those). I use zinc wicks with this wax in the tureens. I use this wax for the scents that are must haves and will not throw that great in soy. I would like to find another wax (to replace my alternate paraffin wax) that I can use in my other jars (not just in the tureens) and in my special one wick jars. The two candles I made with the Greenleaf soy/para blend had a great throw and it was an easy wax to work with. Sure beats the headaches of soy. I am with you though, inconsistancies are scary. This does worry me a bit. That would mean possible extra testing at the spur of the moment -- not a fun thing. Maybe in time the consistency will get better and you will feel more comfortable to give it a try. HTH :cool2:

~Holly

Thanks for the info Holly--

I have not worked with RRD's much lately, but I have every wick known to mankind, lol. I will give these a try.

As far as the greanleaf wax, what have you heard about the inconsistancies in the batches? If they get it worked out, is this a wax you would use to replace your current soy? The reason I ask is it would be nice to never have to deal with the soy issues, IF the scent throw and sooting is better than most blended waxes. I am kinda partial to the clean burn of soy, myself :)

Hi Creative,

Actually I want to keep my soy line but would like to replace my paraffin line with a cleaner burning wax that I can use in any of my jars. Soy sure can be a headache but it is worth it to me. I know that Brenda at Greenleaf is working on it and will be keeping an eye on the batches. She said that they have a truck load of batch #4 and it would be awhile before customers would see batch #5. So, I may take a chance and order some more test slabs and see how batch 4 compares to #3 that I have. I hope it burns as slow. If batch #5 stays consistent with #4 then maybe more people will feel more confident to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes with the next batch.

~Holly :)

Hi,

Is the Perfect Blend the Perfect Blend from Greenleaf? If so, which batch is it? I have tested the #3 batch and found that it was good with double wicking -- did not get too deep of a meltpool too quick. However, my jars are not the same as yours. The jar I tested it in is 3 1/4 inches from side to side and then 4 inches from corner to corner. I used 2 Hemp Lg. + and the flames were not too big and did not get too small later in the burn. The LX's may burn hotter than the Hemps, but I am not sure. I never seem to have much luck with LX's for one reason or the other so I am not real knowledgeable on the LX's.

If you are testing the #4 batch, then it may be that it burns faster than what I tested. Brenda from Greenleaf told me that we would get a better meltpool with batch #4 than batch #3. This is a good thing with single wicking, but could cause the meltpool to get too deep too fast with double wicking. This is not be good for my situation since I double wick.

Keep testing. Try other types of wicks. You might want to try the Hemps or the RRD's. I will be ordering the batch #4 soon. I will let you know how it goes for me if this is what you are testing.

~Holly :cool2:

How do we know what batch # we have. I have some wax here and am not sure which # it is.

Dixie

I have tested these with 2 LX16's and 2 LX14's. The LX16's on the second burn give me a big melt pool (around an inch) after about an hour and the flames are kind of small. The 2 LX14's aren't working very well at all and were very weak even after about a half hour.

Looks like I am going to be testing these again with a different kind of wick since the LX's are not doing what I want them to do.

Has anyone tried double CD wicks and if so, what size would you recommend? Thanks for your great input! I appreciate all the help you are giving me.

:cheesy2:

How do we know what batch # we have. I have some wax here and am not sure which # it is.

Dixie

Hi Dixie,

You can email her and ask her. You need to let her know the date of your invoice or when you received the wax. I asked her on her message board on a thread regarding this. She was able to tell me after I gave her my invoice date. My invoice was in March -- can't remember the exact day now. I can't believe I have had it that long all ready. Time sure goes by fast! :shocked2:

~Holly

I have tested these with 2 LX16's and 2 LX14's. The LX16's on the second burn give me a big melt pool (around an inch) after about an hour and the flames are kind of small. The 2 LX14's aren't working very well at all and were very weak even after about a half hour.

Looks like I am going to be testing these again with a different kind of wick since the LX's are not doing what I want them to do.

Has anyone tried double CD wicks and if so, what size would you recommend? Thanks for your great input! I appreciate all the help you are giving me.:cheesy2:

Hi,

I figured that would be the case. I have not used the CD's. I mainly use RRD's and Hemps. I have been wanting to order the CD's to see what they are like out of curiosity. I would definitely try a different type of wick. What FO and how much are you using? I forget what you said on your first post and it is not below this on the screen. I have a FO right now that I am trying to wick and I keep getting weak flames later in the burn. If I wick up the flames are too big in the beginning in this particular jar. It is a pain. You could try to make a few more candles with different FO to make sure it is not the FO and that %. I am not sure if you have already made several and have the same problem with all of them. I keep lowering the amount on the FO I am having trouble with 1% at a time to see if that helps. So far, I am still getting weak flames at 7%. It is a really heavy oil. I should go 6% or lower with this one as long as the scent throw is still good. Well, I need to go. I hoped this helped some. You are welcome. :cool2:

~Holly