Best Means of Advertising

I was wondering what everyone thought was their best means of advertising...website....word of mouth....flyers.....brochures...shows? I am just starting out but I don't have that "salesman" personality or charm. Really, I guess I would go more with the "quiet and shy" so I mostly sell to co-workers, friends and family. I also don't have a website.

when i started selling candles, i started with swap meets and craft shows. Word of mouth slowly started and thus a large customer base. You might also try your bank, post office and beauty salon. I've done quite well at these places.

I was wondering what everyone thought was their best means of advertising...website....word of mouth....flyers.....brochures...shows? I am just starting out but I don't have that "salesman" personality or charm. Really, I guess I would go more with the "quiet and shy" so I mostly sell to co-workers, friends and family. I also don't have a website.

Buttloads here too - everything from:

Telephone book (with cool coupons and color ad - never got ONE coupon back)

Local paper (with coupon - hardly any response)

Radio (good Lord, this one is really a waste of time)

Town brochure (we all chip in and get an ad)

Restaurant placemats (ugh, don't bother)

Best advertisement by far is word of mouth, but I also recommend participating in fundraisers, conventions, goody bags and local shows put on by your town.

By far, the cheapest and BEST form of advertising I have seen in the 4 years I have been doing business.

I agree with Jenny's comments about advertising. New business needs visibility and accessibility. You may call your local and surrounding Chambers to see what activities you could be a vendor at. Spend an extra dime and get a distinctive "Trademark" looking gift bag for your product. Maybe everyone will want one.

A few more ideas...........

At most of the shows I've been at there are always going to be a FEW people looking for candles but there A LOT of people looking for gifts. Really dress that little bag with handles up and consider using matching color tissue.

Display it with two candles inside on your main table and maybe have a second bag on the inventory table. At the bottom of your burning tips page include your up-coming show events so people know where to find you. Include your phone number. In no time you will have a handful of buyers calling every week wanting to know where you will be next. Hope that's the way it works for you.

Just my thoughts

Ron