Fuel Smell?

AngelaVA

Okay, I have been using J50 for years and only got a fuel smell with a very small number of FOs. Now that I'm testing soy waxes though, I find that so many are giving off the fuel smell. I can't cut out the citrus and clean scents from my line - they are my biggest sellers. I would go ahead and make the switch to soy, but am having problems accepting this issue. Is there anything at all that I can do to alleviate this?

I had the same problem with two citrus scents in my soy blend. I thought there was an electrical fire somewhere in the house the first time I noticed it. That one was an aromatherapy scent. I guess it was energizing.:shocked2: The other was an orange cream. I was told by the supplier that the vanilla is supposed to cover the 'fuel like' scent. But when I gave the same candle to several other people ( friends, not customers ) to test they said they couldn't detect that odor. So I don't know what that means. I just try to make sure that any citrus scents I choose have a high flash point, and I keep my fingers crossed.

If you find a solution please share!

I had the problem with Citrus Blast.Sound like a Yummy scent but burning it was hasardous to my health.IMO.I wanted to gag and really so much fuel smell I thought better open the windows.Trashed that candle.

If the orange scented candles are like that I pass on any candle make with the citrus scent.NEVER!!!!!!!!!

LynnS

there are many great citrus scents that don't have a fuel smell in soy. I for one LOVE WYW Vanilla Grapefruit, TSB Sweet Serendipity, JS Tangerine Tulip, BG Raspberry Lemonade.....I can go on, but there are really quite a few that I have found to do well. Sometimes you just need to cut back to get the fuel to go away....as in JS Fruit Slices, I had total fuel, then cut back to 1 oz. per pound and it was awesome!!! Huge throw, too.

good luck!

The testers I burned last weekend were all poured at 1oz pp. I poured 8 testers and 5 had a fuel smell. I need to test a few more scents, but it's just frustrating at this point. If I can find great citrus scents that don't fuel-up the house, I'll probably choose one of these waxes. Guess there's more testing in my immediate future.

The problem with the fuel smell thing is that some folks smell it, and others don't detect it. heh heh I used to NEVER get a fuel smell from anything, now I get it in mulberry and a couple other scents. Go figure. So even noses/olfactory nerves can change, I guess! hahaha

The problem with the fuel smell thing is that some folks smell it, and others don't detect it. heh heh I used to NEVER get a fuel smell from anything, now I get it in mulberry and a couple other scents. Go figure. So even noses/olfactory nerves can change, I guess! hahaha

It is definitely a problem. I noticed a fuel smell with a candle also scented in mulberry....my friend did not smell it at all! Here we are trying to distinquish which scents are going to "work" for us and which to knock out of the running, and we don't even "smell" them the same....LOL....

My husband always smells the fuel when I do, so I trust that it's not just me. It's so frustrating because fruit and citrus are great sellers for me and I don't want to look for new FOs to replace the ones I currently sell. I don't know whether I should just stick with the Ecosoya or look for another wax. I am way too indecisive for this, lol. :rolleyes2

You could always just tell your customers that the citrus and mulberry scents are in TARTS ONLY. LOL

That would be a good idea BUT I was melting my very first soy tart yesterday - enjoying the wonderful scent and thinking "this is the life....no wick to worry about, no soot, no shooting "torch" flames....just lovely scent - then I glanced at it....IT WAS SMOKING....what the heck is that?!?!?!? :shocked2: I tell ya', this little hobby is turning into a nightmare!!! LOL