Any experience with Fil Tec Wicks?

No experience yet, but I'm thinking of trying them for a special project. Basically they're a zinc alternative when you need maximum rigidity. This is only time I've needed zincs, which work like crap given anything but straight paraffin, so I'm curious if the Ultra Core might burn better.

People around here don't generally need that kind of rigidity for the pour because they secure the wick at the top. It's not normally needed for burning either, but I have an application where I expect a deep melt pool in a narrow container.

Far be it from me to discourage experimentation, but offhand I'd say you don't need to put precious time into it unless you have a specific need for what that wick type offers.

Well, they ALSO claim that their wicks soot less, provide a more even melt pool, and mushroom less also. Again, those are claims, so, I thought, with the free samples, it would be worth a shot.
There's no "also". They claim exactly what I said - a zinc alternative that burns better. Certainly that would mean less mushrooming because zincs mushroom like mad. But let's give the manufacturer some credit - I don't see where they claim to sell sootless wicks. That would be silly.

Not sure where the misunderstanding lies, as I re-read my post and nowhere on it does it say "sootless" however, in speaking with them (when I requested the wicks), they DID, in fact, say that their wicks soot less. I'm not sure why you would be putting words in my mouth, however, that is, in fact, what I said, and I would encourage you to contact them prior to refuting information that you really don't have.

Sorry, I misread your post regarding sootless. However, there's still no conflict in the information. The problem with zincs is that between the metal wire and the cool burn, they have a hard time completely burning the wax. The concern about my application is a wax formulation that will make them mushroom and a tall narrow jar that's bound to get blackened. I'm interested in the Ultra Core because it might avoid this while having the rigidity to deal with a melt pool that could easily get an inch deep.

What I was trying to point out is that the rigidity is the key feature. When we say they mushroom less than zinc, that describes every other wick on the market, so you might not be interested in them specifically for that.

I understand what you were trying to say. What I was trying to say, however, was that, in speaking with them (and of course, their job is to sell you on their particular wicks), they hardly touched on the "rigidity" issue and explained to me that their ultra core wick mushrooms less (which you have already addressed), soots less than other wicks, provides a more even melt pool, and actually produces better hot throw than other wicks on the market. Again, you have to take this with a grain of salt, as they are trying to sell you on their particular wick but, my point was simply that contrary to your assesment of their wicks (where the only real difference is the rigidity issue), they claim that on about every point out there, their wick is better.

Heh, that's where I'd be inclined to take it with a grain of salt. I'd be happy if they burned better than zinc but stood up straight in a deep melt pool. That's what I read to be the "spirit" of the claims on their site (and they're plausible), but they might be tempted to oversell.

I have been using them for some time. I obtained a sample from one of their suppliers, tried a few & bought a bag of 650. I'm down to about a hundred left, so I guess I have some experience with them.

Do I like them? They're OK, but I'm still looking for something better. They claim you don't need to support them when pouring, but you do. That's not a problem, since I support all container wicks anyway. They claim they don't mushroom, but they do. They claim they burn cleaner, and they are pretty good in most situations, but not all.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty good, but I'm betting there's something better. I just got my sample kit from Wickit, and I'm going to start testing. I read a post here last week saying how good they are, then a few days later another one saying they smoke in that person's application.

I'm beginning to believe every fragrance will have it's own best wick. When I'm sure that's the case, I'll take up jumping off tall buildings instead of making candles.