How does heat/sun affect products?

jade

Does anyone sell at outdoor events in the summer? I'm wondering what happens to products when they are outside. Does anything melt? Moisture develop in the containers? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes, Yes, and Yes. You've got to play with your products to develop recipies for high heat. The colorants you use come into play here too. Many fade in direct sunlight. For testing, put them on your dashboard, let them get to abotu 120 degrees for a few hours. Then you'll know if you need to reformulate.

Yes, keep your goodies in the shade. For items that melt easily, such as whipped shea butters or lotion bars and lip balms, keep them double-bagged in waterproof plastic ziploc type bags in a cooler full of ice. Keep a display one out; switch it with a cool one now and then to prevent melting/spoilage.

Yup, heat is not good for soap and cosmetics. If you do CP/HP soaps watch that they don't get overheated - you may find you develop DOS (dreaded orange spots) over time even if you've never had the problem before.

Sometimes I reformulate whipped butters for summer. In winter I might be 60 butter/ 40 oil, in summer I might be 90 butter / 10 oil. Usually I just stop selling whipped butters for the summer months.

For lip balms I'll put a blue ice packet in a basket and cover with a cloth, put the lip balms on that.

Keep your lotions cool - there's nothing worse than seeing lotions with condensation inside - the perfect place to grow yuckies. There's no preservative in that water.