Tallow made candles

Funny, I started with candles, moved to b&b, render tallow for some of my soaps, and never even thought to play with a candle.

Hmmm, I've got 10#s of fat to render, maybe I should try it. Would be an interesting test, it doesn't have much smell after I render it. I dry render in the oven.

Thanks for all the feedback! I already have a rendering recipie for the tallow that I got from a soap site, so hopefully it will have a neutral smell. The way I actually became interested in chandling(?) is actually an off-shoot of my "obsession" with The Phantom of the Opera. It's just keeps on amazing me!:cheesy2:

Hmm I too am into Victorian things, Hence my business name LadyBre,,But I never thought of trying the Tallow,,,this sounds interesting!!! Im glad you asked this question,,,I may try it BUT if it soots like crazy my customers I KNOW wont buy it,,,Nice to do an experiment though,,,Perhaps on Tapers...;)

Here's my post on the old CT board - it's got pictures of the rendering I did.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1121126484

I used to try to make "movie candles" - you know, those big drippy candles that had huge flames and dripped a lot, everything we try not to do. Look great though :)

If you separate glycerin and oils from the fat solids you'll have stearine, which is a good candlemaking material and the next evolutionary step from the tallow candle. Part of that is accomplished with lye in saponification but I'm not familiar with that like you B&B folks are. I don't think the entire process of extracting the stearine can be done at home but I'm not sure. There's some additional refining step.