Advertising...

Darwin

Word of mouth is how I advertise. I have my business cards and everywhere I go, I pass them out. I don't advertise on the net because it's too expensive. I network with some of my friends and share links.

Believe it or not, when I go into the restroom somewhere, I leave my business card. I can't tell you how many orders I have gotten from that. I have business cards with just my company name, web addy and name on there. Don't want any joe blow to know my real address.

When I go to resturants, I give the waiter/waitress my card.

Christina

I bank at Washington Mutual and my branch does a "community business of the week" thing. For two weeks, you can set up a small 3x5 table.

I just picked my display up, set up a couple dozen jars, bus cards, and 8x10 sign about my product and a free drawing!

The free drawing was a huge hit. At the bottom of the slip, I had four options that they could draw from (contact me with more information regarding: placing an order, fundraising, home parties, wholesale) and 75% of the people checked one or more boxes.

Who knows how many will pan out, but I have a lot of leads to work on next week. You might want to check with your bank or something and see if this could be an option for you.

I do alot of word of mouth, business card magnets, and the big one is joining top sites, and doing alot of links exchanges... my site is fairly new, but I seem to be generating a decent amount of traffic to the site. I discovered that if you do alot of links exchanges, your chances of getting hit by the search engines increase dramatically. Just a thought there.... anyway, good luck with your site

I do alot of word of mouth, business card magnets, and the big one is joining top sites, and doing alot of links exchanges... my site is fairly new, but I seem to be generating a decent amount of traffic to the site. I discovered that if you do alot of links exchanges, your chances of getting hit by the search engines increase dramatically. Just a thought there.... anyway, good luck with your site

Do you notice by putting link exchanges on, you get a lot of spam in your guest book? I finally had to set my guestbook up where I had to approve the messages because I get these spammers!

Christina

Amy,

I checked out your site--it's clean, loads quickly, and is easily navigable. Overall it looks and feels really good! :)

There's only a couple of things I'd suggest to help you get more traffic (and sales!)

1. Home page content. Add some meaty text under the "Compose Yourself" area. Use pertinent key words here and throughout your site (e.g. soap, body care, gifts, spa etc.) Not only will it bump your search engine ranking, but it's the best place to hook your customers into looking/buying. People want to know why they should buy from you; what makes your product different from others. Give them a reason to want to look around your site--the longer they stay, the more likely they'll buy!

2. Get others to link to your site. The more links you have coming to your site, the greater the traffic. More links will also help to bump your search engine rank.

3. Crisp, clear product photos. Since online customers can't touch & really see your products, they depend on good photos and descriptions to help them bridge this gap. Show them how creamy that nose cream is, or how that brown sugar scrub glistens with sugary scrubbiness.

Here's a link for more ideas for advertising & optimizing your site:

http://www.websitegear.com/

I am in the process of building a website right now. I ordered some postcards from Vista Print which will announce my website. I plan to mail these out to everyone on my mailing list and to friends, family and co-workers once the site is completed. I will also have my website address on all of my business cards, flyers, labels and anything else that I have in print. I'm hoping this will at least peak interest in checking the website out and HOPEFULLY result in some sales.

Amy,

I checked out your site--it's clean, loads quickly, and is easily navigable. Overall it looks and feels really good! :)

There's only a couple of things I'd suggest to help you get more traffic (and sales!)

1. Home page content. Add some meaty text under the "Compose Yourself" area. Use pertinent key words here and throughout your site (e.g. soap, body care, gifts, spa etc.) Not only will it bump your search engine ranking, but it's the best place to hook your customers into looking/buying. People want to know why they should buy from you; what makes your product different from others. Give them a reason to want to look around your site--the longer they stay, the more likely they'll buy!

2. Get others to link to your site. The more links you have coming to your site, the greater the traffic. More links will also help to bump your search engine rank.

3. Crisp, clear product photos. Since online customers can't touch & really see your products, they depend on good photos and descriptions to help them bridge this gap. Show them how creamy that nose cream is, or how that brown sugar scrub glistens with sugary scrubbiness.

Here's a link for more ideas for advertising & optimizing your site:

http://www.websitegear.com/

Thanks for all your help. I am going to take your advice, especially in the first thing you said. I do realize that I need better pictures, and I am in the process of trying to get better ones. I do have several others who link to my site I have only had my site up since november or december so it is slowly coming around.

My sister is obsessed with advertising my business.

She comes in the shop about once every 2 weeks and fills up little containers of sorbet (she bought the containers herself) and labels them. Every time she goes out anywhere, she leaves a business card and a little sample of the sorbet either on the table, in the bathroom, at the bank, at the grocery, etc...

This has been very effective for me as I get the free advertising from her and she gets free product in return :)