is Propay the way to go?

sandissoap

I'm getting closer to getting my website up and running, had a designer do the major stuff and am just adding all my products. I already accept paypal and have a premier account there but need to decide who to use for CC processing. I've heard some pretty decent stuff about propay and am just not sure who to go with that is reasonable! I'd much rather pay a per transaction fee then a regular monthly fee, even if it ends up being a bit higher til I see how many cc trans. i'm going to process. Any suggestions? or experience with propay?

thanks

I think, if I remember correctly, Paypal charges $20 a month for the virtual terminal, not sure about per transaction fee.

Propay charges $59.95 for a year with a small per transaction fee.

If you could find out if paypal does a transaction fee, then compare, it might help.

I am going to go with Propay though because I also sell Mary Kay and can get it for $29 through them for the first year

I am a little confused. If you are using paypal on your site there is already a cc option for your customers. I have both paypal and propay but I use propay for shows only. I needed a way to accept cc. Since you can not accept cc and run them yourself through paypal that is why ppl use propay. If you are just looking for cc processing through your site - paypal is all you need.

Right now I am using PayPal, but not the virtual terminal.... however I am signing up for ProPay this week as I have had several people tell me that they would have placed an order, but did not feel comfortable with PayPal. I was stunned, but if its gonna get me more business, then I am definately going to do what I have to do. ProPay's smallest account is 34.95 a year, which allows you only Vish and Mastercard. It also has a set limit of 250 a day or 1000 a month. You have the option to upgrade at anytime.. just thought I would put my 2 cents in there :cool2:

Thanks everyone, I just was re-reading on the paypal site and it sounds like thats probaby the best way to go for now! 2.9% + .30 per transaction. I dont' do many shows and most people in person just pay me with cash or a check so maybe I can hold off on using Pro-pay for now. Thats a scary thought about people not wanting to place orders because they are afraid of paypal...

Thanks everyone, I just was re-reading on the paypal site and it sounds like thats probaby the best way to go for now! 2.9% + .30 per transaction. I dont' do many shows and most people in person just pay me with cash or a check so maybe I can hold off on using Pro-pay for now. Thats a scary thought about people not wanting to place orders because they are afraid of paypal...

I have quite a few customers who are scared of paypal for some reason. They just send me a check and I prepare their order after I cash it. They are fine waiting longer to receive their order since they are paying by check.

I only use paypal. If you pay the $20 per month, you can take credit cards directly on your website, even if your customer does not have a paypal account. This is what I do - alot of people do not use paypal, also If I have a local customer that wants to use credit/debit card, I just run it through my website.

Guest EMercier

I have paypal on my website and for my tradeshows I signed up for Propay and I love it. Very easy to use. It's $39.99 per year versus $20 a month for paypal. That's about $240 a year not including transaction fees. I had a little stamp made up at Staples that I stamp on the credit receipt I give to people to let them know what will appear on their statement. My knucklebuster cost me about $10 on ebay. So in the long run, it's worth it. Paypal is vitually free for me (personal account).

If you want to use it for your website and not for shows, you might consider 2checkout. I use it often for website sales. There is a one time fee of $49 then 5.5% of each sale and .49 per transaction. They may also hold a small percentage of each sale in your account at first as a deposit of sorts, but return it back to you after a period of time.

http://www.2checkout.com

This is my affiliate link. They pay a small bounty for referrals:

https://www.2checkout.com/2co/signup?affiliate=151236

Hope this helps!

Donna