How do you sterilize?

lindsaycb

I have this issue....I feel like I never clean my pots enough, or my countertops enough....

Is there a procedure to follow that's good for making lotion in my kitchen?

I spray my pots with a bleach solution & let them sit..countertops too. Then I rinse the bleach, heat my water, etc etc...

How do you sterlize your stick blender? I've heated water in a pyrex and let it soak in there for a good time before I use it.

Any tips though? I mean so far I haven't had any growth issues, but why do I feel so germy when my water touches things?

I use a 10% bleach solution. Everything that's going to touch the lotion or the ingredients gets dipped. Then I rinse in boiling hot water and let air dry. If I must wipe something dry, I use a clean paper towel.

I don't use a stick blender for lotionmaking; I use my KitchenAid stand mixer because I feel it's easier to sterilize. Maybe someone else who does use a stick blender for lotion will trot along here soon and help you with that! :)

I actually spray the bleach/water solution all over the stick blender stick, and then try to let it air dry. I follow up with a spray of 91% alcohol to help evaporate any water, and also to boost the sterlization. I wipe down the hand part with the bleach solution on a paper towel, then follow with some alcohol sprays and allow it to air dry. I do pretty much the same on the bowels and other utensils. I never feel like it's clean enough, either. :rolleyes2

Okay, so if it air drys after your sterlizing solution...is it okay to not rinse it off? that's my worry. ...I feel like I should rinse, but if I rinse, then really isn't it DIRTY again?

Maybe I have a phobia that I'm working on for myself. (where's that hand sanitizer...)

OCD??? ;) LOL

Just kidding, ever since I got some funkies in my lotion/cream, I've been paranoid that nothing is clean/sterile enough, I swear my hands are shot from using bleach. :rolleyes:

If you are only using 10% or so bleach solution, there is no reason to rinse it off. ;)

I keep a spray bottle with my bleach solution and spray the heck outta everything before using it, even my spatulas, spoons etc.