Botanicals in oil

maryann

I don't want to infuse the botantical, I just want to place it in a body spray for looks. Does anyone know where I can go to get reliable info in this. I want to sell it to the general public and do not want negative repercussions. If I put a fresh flower in an oil how long will it stay good before the oil needs to be thrown away?? Should I dry the botanical first (but then it'll take away from the looks which is what I'm doing for). Should I look into silk flowers instead OR should I not even do ... to big a risk?

I'm not sure where to turn to get these answers. Hope someone can help. TIA :)

I don't have a definate answer, but I'm trying something similar with bath oil. I put real dried lavender sprigs in it.

I would think they would have to be dry - any type of moisture is going to sour and grow mold. Even vinegars you get with stuff in them mold after awhile.

Plus, big problem - they float unless you keep everything on a long stem. I've had them in there for 3 weeks, and while they aren't moldy, they look very tacky.

I think silk would probably work a lot better.

I think silk is going to be the way to go as well. So that shouldn't go nasty at all right? Should I do any prep on them before using them? I was thinking of spraying them w/ r. alcohol to clean. Michael's has some nice/realistic flowers I'll have to check them out.

I've seen a botanical in an oil and it looked real that's why I was inquiring :undecided. What do you think of hot glueing the flower at the bottom or do you think the oils would break the glue down eventually ??

Thanks for the feedback Robin :)