Poking holes

Do you guys poke holes in every candle and top them off? I have made some candles and gave them to my friend, it was coffee FO in a mug. She said at first it burned perfectly and then it all went to one side and sunk. Was that an air pocket or what? I mostly use J50 or votive wax, but I don't poke holes in them all the time, should I? Usually if I see a crack or hole as it cools I do that. I'm thinking I should do it all the time just to be on the safe side. Thanks! Dee

I pour at about 150 and just cooling them on the table

If your house is on the cold side or if there is a draft near your table, that might what is causing your problem. Try putting the candles in a cardboard box (I use the box the jars come in with the dividers in it) and cool that way. I think they need to cool slower. HTH :)

There is some confusion going on here about Sink Holes & Air Pockets.

Sink Hole - That is what you get at the top of the candle (bottom if it's a piller) and you can see it around the wick or wick pin. This you just top off with wax.

Air Pockets - These are pockets of air, or large air bubbles, formed inside the candle, usually around the wick or wick pin, and you can not see them. These you poke relief holes around the wick area and re-pour with wax. You can usually feel when you hit one.

Air pockets happen when a candle cools to fast, not all waxes will have them or as severe. To avoid them cool the candle slowly. There are many ways to do this, place jar candles in a warm oven for a few hours then turn off oven and let candle finish cooling in the oven. Place jar candles back into their boxes they came in. Wrap towels around them. Place into an ice chest or place a foam chest over the candles, and the list go on.

In the summer (in a pouring area without temp. control) I find the pouring room warm enough and don't get air pockets.

IMO - I always (even in the summer) poke to check for air pockets because I can't see them and want to insure I sell a quality product.

HTH Candle Man

I've used J50 since day one, and I've never had to poke holes. It's a single pour wax and it's very forgiving. At what temp are you pouring? If you pour at 150 degrees, and warm the jar, you won't get sink holes or jump lines. I'ts the easiest to use wax I've tried, and I've experimented with many.