Cooling Candles

I have been making candles for two yrs,and I have always read that you need to put your candles in the oven to let them cool slow.I have always done this,put them in the oven,or under a box.What is the purpose of this.Do they have a better throw,burn better,or what?It has gotten hard to find a place to put them,I am making so many now.

Thanks,Anna

I put mine in the oven during the winter so that cool slower. Then I don't get air pockets or cracks around the wick. When it gets warmer outside, I cool them in a cardboard box - one of the boxes that the jars come in with the dividers in it.

I wrap a dish towel around my containers on the counter before I pour the wax in. I don't trust myself moving containers of liquid wax around and this has worked well. :cheesy2:

When I cool mine in the oven or in a box, I put the jars in the box/oven before I pour so that I don't have to move the candle after I've poured it.

I read someones post who said they use a Styrofoam container over it. I am going to try that. I have to use my cold granite counter tops because it is the only level surface in my house. I know that doesn't help either. As soon as my husband helps me organize my candle room in the basement I am going to use a space heater when I work. I have all wood flooring in my house that throws off the temperature all over. My husband owns an HVAC company you think he would give me a solution.

I read someones post who said they use a Styrofoam container over it. I am going to try that. I have to use my cold granite counter tops because it is the only level surface in my house. I know that doesn't help either. As soon as my husband helps me organize my candle room in the basement I am going to use a space heater when I work. I have all wood flooring in my house that throws off the temperature all over. My husband owns an HVAC company you think he would give me a solution.

Putting a thick kitchen towel down underneath your candles will help :)

I assume you're talking containers? I believe they're put in the oven to slowly cool for adherence and to minimize shrinkage.

Hmm. I have never done this. I do not get many wetspots or anything, mabye it is the type of wax or something. I have never done this.I just let them cool on the table and zap the tops with a heat gun when I am finished.