Weights & Measures for labeling

Pam W

When listing the product weight on the label, you do put the weight of the product within the container and not the container w/product. Right?? I bought some 4oz containers for body butters. Empty container weights 1oz, filled with butter it weighs 4.4 - so my label should indicate 3.4 oz??

...pause....

Had a flash so I went & checked the measuring. The container holds 4oz by volume and I've been doing all my testers by weight.

So which measurement should I be using :confused: Now I'm also wondering if the B&B recipes are in weight or volume. Any thoughts???

The empty container w/lid weighs 1oz, filled with product it weight 4.4oz. So I'm getting only 3.4oz of weighted product. I guess what has me confused is that the container was sold as a 4oz container - it will hold 4oz by volume but not by weight. I thought I would be packaging 4oz of weighted producted into this container but that's not the case.

So to be fair to the customer, should the label indicate the weight of the product or the volume? Our FOs come to us by weight as does my box of Cheerios. Hope this makes sense.

You should use the volume if the product is a liquid and the weight if the product is a solid. The weight of the bottle should not be counted, otherwise it wouldn't make sense if there were two identical products, one in a heavy glass bottle and one in a light plastic bottle.

You should use the volume if the product is a liquid and the weight if the product is a solid. The weight of the bottle should not be counted, otherwise it wouldn't make sense if there were two identical products, one in a heavy glass bottle and one in a light plastic bottle.

Thanks sudsnwicks:

I looked at your website and I think we're using the same size container for butters. So what I should do is put my container on the scale, tare & add the butter and use that weight on my label. I've got it now -- I was giving myself a headache.

Yup, what she said