update what i've been doing

alhughes

here are some of the things i've been working on. I have a craft show coming up on may 6th these are some of the things i'm taking. The flowers are scented differently, some are cabernet, peaches & cream, cherry cola, lemon chiffon, apple delight, cucumber melon, orange grove, southern butter pecan & butterscotch. I tried to keep like the fruity scents together, etc. i will be pricing the flowers @$6 & i price the hurricanes @$4.50 & balloons @$2.50. what do you think about them & the prices

[ATTACH]6067[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6068[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6069[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6071[/ATTACH]

thank you, the flowers are dipped & scented. i live in nebraska, when i did my 1st show my prices were much hire, i didn't sell that much. i changed supply companies & now i can lower my prices. i don't cut my throat but i still make a small profit. my dad use to make jewelry & he always priced that he could replace what he sold & a second of that item. well i do that. sometimes people just don't want to buy anything that doesn't say sale on it.

I agree....I think you could ask more....what I do is offer them "Buy one get one half price"....that way they are getting a deal and they buy two candles. When I put a sign in our co-op store last year my sales doubled. Also....think about this...if you have cheap prices then people think they are cheap candles.....make them think it is special. When I was selling Victorian Lampshades and they weren't selling, we would go around the store and mark them up $50 to $100 and then they would sell.....there is psychology to selling. That is why an attractive display helps. Also I have found, "The more you have the more you sell"......It keeps people looking and they start picking out their favorite...then they decide they want their favorite and buy it so that they can own it....it is a progression. Good luck....hope you sell lots. Donita

I have to agree the prices seem too low, but I do understand the dilemma... where I am, people just are not very educated about handmade items of any sort - they look for WalMart prices. I try to price between what I think is right and the normal store prices. I think I would bump those prices at least a buck... If the show is more than one day and you get too much negative feedback on prices, you can always lower the prices... but once folks are used to buying for the rock-bottom prices, it's real hard to come up...;)