Liquid dyes!

Hi everyone,

I am having a difficult time with these Lonestar liquid dyes lately. I am getting horrible frosting. I use 415 soy sometimes with 3% BW sometimes without. I get it to set up beautifully. But for some reason it always starts to frost. I think my house is so drafty that it enhances it even more. I know a few of you use Lonestar if you have any advise please let me know. Anyone who uses 100% soy. Or if there is a dye that sets up in soy easily. I keep hearing about Pryme and Evo I even heard about these Crystals.

Thanks for you time.

I use the Lonestar liquid dyes and I get frosting, but not that often, just once in a while. Beeswax will help some with it, so I would continue to use the beeswax. How do you pour your candles and how do you cool them?

You could try those other colorants you've been hearing about. You never know. EVO would be the easiest to switch to because you use them in about the same way.

I've noticed that drafts can be a problem because the candles go through more abrupt temperature fluctuations. You could put them in a more protected location, maybe in a box, and hope they stay nice looking a little longer.

If you have paying customers, it's also popular to teach them that candles derived from cooking oil are trendy and better and they're supposed to look yucky.

That is true. I noticed Swanscreek candles try to cover up their frosting by putting soy beads on top of all their candles then they put a little disk inside explaining the characterisitics of soy. I am assuming they back up 100% soy. I guess after while this board makes you crazy because you have the these smaller candle businesses like Soylights. I found her candles in Lake Geneva last weekend. Not one of her candles have frost marks. I cannot say she uses 100% soy or not she doesn't disclose it on her website but how nice it was to see her candles so smooth and even colored and she uses the same jars as me. I have felt the same way about the drafting. I have seen variables with testing but Golden Brands won't back that theory up. My gut says otherwise with Crystalization and certain dyes. I have thought about using a space heater when I work.

I just started making soy candles and first used the wax chips/flakes and got terrible frosting on 2 different waxes...Golden 435 and 464. I tried the EVO liquid dye and now I don't even get a HINT of frosting. You can get them inexpensively and already with the dropper tops from Bayou Candle Company on E-bay...I highly recommend these dyes! The only downfall is that there is not a big range of colors and i can see having to do some "mixing" to get certain colors. Good luck.

Sad to say guys my heart is not into paraffin. No disrespect to any of you I just want to keep it vegetable. I know it has to be the effects in my home because the other day I rewicked a container of 464. I think I poured it at 145 not even documenting it and the stupid thing set up without one frost mark. The one time I am not paying attention. I am talking dark purple. Jason said that is his biggest complaint for a color. I do remember my kitchen was very warm and I kept it sitting on top of a towel instead of directly on the granite top. Crystalizing is a temperature varaible with chocolate which is a hydrogenized fat itself. So It has to be that. I am not ready to give up yet until I know for sure. My husband is a HVAC owner so he is too practical to let me crank the heat so I have to wait for a hot day in my kitchen.