Stand mixers for b&b

TexasBrat

I have only used an old hand mixer for making butters and scrubs. I do have a Kitchenaid stand mixer but don't want to use it for bath and body. I did find a pretty inexpensive mixer at Walmart and figured it should be just as good as a Kitchenaid right? Seems the power is 225 watt and some KAs are 250. I am also hoping it will work for making whipped soap. Do you think it will?

This is it

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2593949

Seriously, I'd use the KA and just buy a second bowl. Stainless Steel doesn't transfer scent and is non-porus, and you can't hurt it. I use mine for BB, clean it up and use it to cook with. It looks as good as the day I bought it.

I'm glad you said that I was thinking Crap maybe I shouldn't be doing that !!

I do have a second bowl already I just worry about how things get into cracks and crevices. I tried to find extra attatchments but they are expensive. I don't mind the scrubs and butters but making the whipped soap is just something I don't want to mess with on my KA and all the lye. I already bought it but haven't tried it out yet. I struggle with even using my crockpot for making hp soaps. I don't know I may give in and use it since I don't really even have the space for an extra mixer.

I'm itching for a stand mixer to do my b&b, but haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on a kitchen aid to stick back in the shop. I came across this sunbeam at JCPennys and told DH he need look no further for an anniversary gift ;) . Just what I need for the shop at a good price. The kitchen aid we'll discuss closer to X-mas since I love baking goodies around the holidays. http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=21476&CatID=21559&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0bf9886&ProdSeq=1&ProdCount=23&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=stand+mixer&RefPage=SearchProducts&CmCatId=EXTERNAL|SearchProducts&FromBanners=N&S4DeptID=25439&S4PageNum=1&S4PageSize=28&S2HighLight=False&Dep=housewares

i have one very similar to this one that i got from Wal-Mart. I don't own a kitchen aid so i am not able to compare the finished products results between the two equipments. thus far the one i have from wal-mart seems to be working well for me. HTH

the suggestion to use a different bowl for your B&B stuff is a great idea.

I have only used an old hand mixer for making butters and scrubs. I do have a Kitchenaid stand mixer but don't want to use it for bath and body. I did find a pretty inexpensive mixer at Walmart and figured it should be just as good as a Kitchenaid right? Seems the power is 225 watt and some KAs are 250. I am also hoping it will work for making whipped soap. Do you think it will?

This is it

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2593949

You use your KA for food?
:laugh2: Yup, I sure do, I love to bake as much as I like to make b&b. I've had mine for about 4 years now and love it, can't go back to hand mixers.
The entire time I sat there doing it pushing the stuff into the mixers itself.QUOTE] Betty doesn't know b&b. :yes:

wildangel112, that looks like a nice one.

Crafty1, that helps. thanks

I went for a KA since the mixer I had I hated using even for baking.

At linens and things, they will let you use those 20% off coupons that come in the newspaper on the KA. I got mine for $223 plus at the time they had a $20 mail in rebate too.

(Right now they have a special where you get an attachment free, I've heard the slicer part is good for rebatching)

Sami

I have 2 kitchen aids (a 4 qt and 6 qt). I wish I had the 5 qt (yeah undecisive). My whip and flat beaters on my 6 qt are stainless steel so I do use it for both. I just dont add fragrance while I am using my kitchen aid. The 4 qt I have committed to B&B.

Another thing I do when wanting to cool things fast is wrap some ice packs around the base of the bowls. I place the ice packs in old socks, and tie or rubberband them (even have taped them) around the base of the bowls. One of my Mom's meds comes refrigerated so I end up with tons of ice packs and I hate popping in freezer, taking out, etc and have not found a way to do a water bath with the KA.

Well I wasted two hours lastnight making bath bombs in my betty crocker stand mixer...I'm switching to my KA. The entire time I sat there doing it pushing the stuff into the mixers itself. I think with a KA it knows what its doing.

What do you use the KA with bath bombs for?

Personally, I use mine for bombs because I'm basically lazy and it works. ;)

I also use it for whipped soap, butters, scrubs, etc, etc, etc.

I even use mine for mashed potatoes and I have a perfectly good hand masher thing. My motto is work smarter, not harder.

I love my KA. I don't cook much anymore anyways. LOL And when I do, I don't use my soaping equipment. That's a big No No in my house. I'm sure it would be perfectly clean and safe but I chose to keep my soapmaking equipment separate from my regular kitch stuff. Now I have dh and ds and dd that like to cook. How cool it that? :yay:

Suz