flash point question

OK this may be a stupid question but what the heck :)

I fell in love with candle making last summer but had to stop in the winter because of health problems now I ready to play some more, I have hadgood luck with some candles and bad with others

Im trying many new FO this summer and am wondering about the temp for pouring... do y'all pour all scents at the same temp or find some do better pouring at higher/lower temps.. if you use different temps how do you decide, I was wondering if you used the flash point to decide or is it done some other way if it needs to be changed that is. Most of mine I add FO at about 185-190 and pour at 150 I have no problems with how they set up they always look good,most of the time I do get a pretty scent throw doing this Im just wondering if changing the temps could make it better.

The flash point has nothing to do with pouring temps. The flash point is the temp. at which the FO can ignite. Check what the manufacturer of your wax recommends for pouring temps since it varies with each wax. The temperature at which you add your FO can affect the throw but not the temp that you pour at. That would just affect the way the candle sets up and could affect the burn.

I would also suggest you do more reading and research to better understand making candles and the terms associated with it. Please don't take that the wrong way but it is important to truly understand this to ensure that you are making a safe and reliable candle and not just a fire bomb. It's not only your reputation on the line, but the repuation of all chandlers. Good luck. :)

:wave:Hey, Dixiegal!

do y'all pour all scents at the same temp or find some do better pouring at higher/lower temps

We pour essential oils as cool as the wax will stand. The fragrance oils I have used seem more tolerant to higher temps. We do consider the optimum temperature for the scent, but what's good for the wax is more important to us. But that's just us... Different folks using different materials might do something entirely different. Good luck & glad you are able to enjoy makin' candles again.:D

I would also suggest you do more reading and research to better understand making candles and the terms associated with it. Please don't take that the wrong way but it is important to truly understand this to ensure that you are making a safe and reliable candle and not just a fire bomb. It's not only your reputation on the line, but the repuation of all chandlers. Good luck. :)

thankyou for the advice, I should have made it clear I dont sell or have any desire to sell. I make them for my own pleasure. The reason I was wondering if the flash point changed the way a candle would throw is since certain fo have lower fash points or higher I wondered if it would change how they burned off a scent when added, again sorry I wasnt more clear.

:wave:Hey, Dixiegal!

We pour essential oils as cool as the wax will stand. The fragrance oils I have used seem more tolerant to higher temps. We do consider the optimum temperature for the scent, but what's good for the wax is more important to us. But that's just us... Different folks using different materials might do something entirely different. Good luck & glad you are able to enjoy makin' candles again.:D

Thanks, love that smile!!:cheesy2:

Dixiegal,

Once you get this down and even though you don't currently sell, you'll be surprised at how many peeps will be interested in buying your candles once word gets out. You just may end up with a little business that you never expected. And that's not a bad thing having a little extra cash in the pocket to continue this obsession. :wink2: