OK, last time I'll bug you B&B gods for the night...

candlebean

I feel like a 2-year old with all of my questions, but I have one more about body butter vs. whipped body butter. Earlier I posted a question about a body butter recipe I found - it said to add the unrefined shea butter to your FO and voila.

Then I was reading a recipe for whipped body butter that had a lot of other stuff added to it and some stuff was melted and then whipped with a mixer...I get that whipped butter has to be whipped (obviously) but in the end what is the difference between the two? AND do you have to add all of the extra stuff to whipped butter to make a whipped butter, or can you just whip the shea and FO and that would be considered a whipped butter too?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I just gotta know....:cry2:

I'm sure someone with experience will reply...I have been reading about and learning about whipped butters, thinking about trying my hand. to me, those other ingrediants are for certain purposes--they don't have to be there but serve a purpose if they are..does that make sense?

Ok.. the whipped butter is lighter in texture, as it has lots and lots of air incorporated. The end user usually uses less of the whipped stuff in comparison to the non whipped. When they pick up a fingerful of the whipped, it’s half air. When they pick up a fingerfull of the non-whipped. It’s straight butters and then they complain it’s too greasy. Ease of application is definitely better with the whipped too.

Each addition to the butters is totally different, but none need to be added to call it a whipped butter. Oils added to the butters bring the melt point down and it makes it not so stiff. Dry flo or cornstarch added leaves a slight powdery afterfeel, but too much and it’ll get stiff. IPM helps it soak in quickly. Etc..