'Bout ready to throw chunks

OUT THE WINDOW!!!

I have some ideas for chunk candles that I want to make but I just don't seem to be able to get the chunks done! I have had several trial and errors - actually, only errors and I am about ready to give it all up!!

I am using a 100% soy wax that I got through Candlewealth. I am trying other waxes as I want to change, but I have several pounds left to use. I am melting it the same as I do for my containers - to 175 - and then I let it cool until it is starting to get slushy before I pour it onto a cookie sheet that I got for this purpose. The first one I tried wax paper on the bottom (had to remelt that as the wax went below the paper and made a huge mess), but now I just use a very thin layer of vegetable oil. My first batch I let cool too far before I cut into it, and it crumbled and fell apart. My next batch I think I cut it too soon and it got kind of weird on the top, although the bottom half of the chunk was nice. It is hard to explain, but the top was almost a little foamy and it seemed to get oily as I was cutting. It also stuck to my knife. So, my next batch I tried to make myself wait longer to cut, and again I got to it too late and it just crumbled as I cut. I tried putting it into the oven to melt it just a bit, well, that didn't work either. This is already the third time that I have to remelt this batch and I am afraid that it will have no scent left by the time I am done! :angry2:

How do you know the right time to cut it so that it is neither too soft nor too hard??

Thanks for your help!

Just might be! Container blends are generally softer and made to adhere to the containers. Pillar/votive blends are generally harder and made to shrink/pull away from molds. I've never tried making chunks with a straight container blend ... only with pillar blends. My guess is that you'd need additives to firm up a container blend. But then your chunks wouldn't burn at the same rate as your overpour. :(

One of the waxes I am playing around with is a paraffin/soy blend I got to make tarts. Now I am wondering if that wouldn't be a better wax to use?

Boy, and I haven't even gotten to the wicking part yet. (picture me pulling hair out)

Pretty sure you have to use pillar blends the other types don't get hard enough. I just used a cutting blade when it cooled to make the chunks. All went well, and the chunks don't have to be perfect. This was for chunky pillars though. Are you making chunk containers or chunk pillars? Like Crafty said, there may be a difference of the burn if you mix pillar with container. Guess the only way to know is to try it.

I've blown chunks before too. ;)

Soy wax does not make good chunks for chunk candles, especially container soy. It's just too soft. You may get better results if you use votive/pillar but if you are REALLY serious about chunkers you shoud use paraffin. Much cleaner cuts and easier removal and breaking apart. HTH!

geek

I like working with containers and haven't tried doing pillars, so I am planning on arranging the chunks in a container. I guess I may just have to try some different waxes to get the final product that I want. Yep, I am definately learning as I go!!

I know this is a broad question, but any suggestion with a wax to get me started with these?:rolleyes2

If you want to know of a good veg pillar blend I really like Strahl & Pitsch's smooth pillar wax. http://www.spwax.com/datasht.htm

They give free samples too.

I haven't done chunks with this wax yet, it is new to me and I want to get my wicks down before I start to do the fun stuff.

I did make quite a few chunks with Ecosoya PB. They turned out nice and burned nice. I just like the SP wax better over all and it is much cheaper. HTH:)