Just wondering if,

allie

your business has slowed down a lot? I've been in the business for 4 years now and have 2 shops, just these last 2 weeks my sales have slowed down. I don't know if it is all the talk about gas prices going to go up to $4 a gal. or what? Just curious if anyone else business has slowed down also?

I love making candles and do it full time now and everything has been great so far.

I don't do wholesale, just my shops. This keeps 3 of us busy.

I've been asked from so many people to buy wholesale, but when I figure my cost and at the wholesale price range they want, I'd be doing it for free!

I have customers that travel for 3 hours to buy from me, and I do ship to everywhere (without a website, only word of mouth), but I've noticed that all the wholesale enquirer's that I have only expect to purchase such a small amount that it is'nt worth while. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Allie

Sounds like you need to expand. Are there other shops that you can ship to? Or within a driving distance that it be worth traveling to to set up your candles at?

Definetly consider a website. If you have people contacting you on your candles, then it will be that much easier for them to jump online and not just order one, but order three or four just from reading the scent descriptions, or seeing a good shipping rate, so they fill a box.

Wholesale is what you want to make of it. What's nice is you don't have to pay booth space at a shop, or consignment fees, so at times it can seem to be just as if you're selling them wholesale. You set your prices, not the market, if a store doesn't want to buy, they won't. But it sounds to me like you have a good thing going. So maybe if they have the option to buy just one to try at a wholesale price, then they may just buy more. Set your order amounts at a price that IS worth it to you. Don't worry about the store owners, they'll buy because candles sell. Wholesale is nice because they're paid for right then and there too. Its not setting up a store with free product in hopes they sell. The store owner knows what they want and makes the guessing games on fragrances.

Do you do craft shows also?

but, I have thought about it. I do really well in sales. There are a lot more competitors out there now. I have some of my customers tell me that they've tried others but always come back to me, which is a good thing. I have a couple of other candle makers try to copy me in my area and under sell me, the best thing about that is, they don't have my formula! They sell there candles wholesale for nothing, I don't see how they are making any money at it. I was the top buyer of tart burners ffrom 1 company in 2005, and 2nd from another. I can't complain, I think you're right, I need to expand. I'll look into wholesale. I've really worked hard at this, and done more than I've ever expected. 3 weeks ago I shipped out to Iraq, to some soldiers that had bought from me before, they said they missed the smell of home. It made me feel wonderful!

Thanks for helping out,

Allie

OMG if that isn't just a great story in itself! All the way to Iraq. Love it.

Store owners will buy your stuff just on reputation alone. & it opens up all 50 states really. Put together a simple catalog website & stick all your customer comments out there. See if you can use your current shops as references. If you can afford handing out samples, I would put together a little business postcard & take a nice Sunday drive and just stop off and stores that your products would fit in. Drop off a sample & your card. Refer them to your website, and bam. You've got sales, just by handing out a freebie for them to test.

Everytime I've dropped off freebies, I've gotten a sale in return. & they always come back.