Another melt pool.... better?

Ok, my first melt pool was too large too fast, so I tried a new wick. The first one is after one hour of burning. The second one after two hours. The wick is not mushrooming at all and is self trimming and the hot throw is AMAZING - it's peach. Filled the next room in about half an hour. It's a 250ml jelly jar with a 2.5 inch diameter opening. Hopefully, I'm on the right track...

[ATTACH]6023[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6024[/ATTACH]

Thanks for any input!

post-3333-139458399276_thumb.jpg

post-3333-13945839928_thumb.jpg

OK, wouldn't you know, this is a wick that was included with a bunch of stuff I got from someone on ebay (newbie mistake) and it's not labelled!! I've emailed the seller to see if she can provide any details but in the meantime, can anyone hazard a guess to the type and possibly the size based on the photo and the burn results I got? It's pretabbed and about 8 inches long, if that matters.

[ATTACH]6025[/ATTACH]

post-3333-139458399571_thumb.jpg

Well I think we can narrow it down to either HTP, ECO, or CD. It definitely is a flat braid but not an LX.

geek

You think so? If the colors in the photo came out right, it looks just like my LX wicks. HTP/CD/ECO always seems to look a little more tan and the braids are highlighted by the dark paper filament.

topofmurrayhill,

the photo is pretty good, it's most definately a tan colored braid inside the outer layer. Sorry, I'm not very technical about these things yet, but I'm trying. After it burned for two hours it didn't have any mushrooming at all and didn't need to be trimmed, and it had leaned to the side slightly, I guess it's part of the self trimming feature??

topofmurrayhill,

the photo is pretty good, it's most definately a tan colored braid inside the outer layer. Sorry, I'm not very technical about these things yet, but I'm trying. After it burned for two hours it didn't have any mushrooming at all and didn't need to be trimmed, and it had leaned to the side slightly, I guess it's part of the self trimming feature??

Yup, all flat braid wicking curls like that. Based on the diameter of the candle, an appropriate wick should make it through a burn session without needing a trim, but you'll probably need to trim it before the next lighting.

If you can see each braid highlighted by a thin brown line, then it's probably one of the wicks geek mentioned. Beyond that, I'm not sure you can really tell those types apart. They're all made in the same way by 3 different companies.

Yeah, she got back to me, says she doesn't know the size or type but would I like to buy anymore. Sounds like she's just trying to unload some wicks... That's what I get, I suppose, I just truly did not realize the importance of properly wicking and that there were so many options.

I did get someone on this board to put together a sample pack of wicks for me, all properly labelled; they should be here any day, so maybe I'll get a few clues from that batch. Thanks so much for all the input, at least it's narrowed down now!