preservative and scrub question

Meridith

I know that certain preservatives are used when there is more oil in the recipe than water and certain preservatives are used when there is more water than oil. When making a sugar scrub using no water, I know that you will need a preservative in case water gets into the mixture. But, what kind would you use, one for use in mixtures that contain more water than oil or more oil than water? This confuses me since you also would want to put a preservative in there to keep the oils from going rancid but you also need to keep those nasties from growing as a result of water getting in the mixture. Help, I've tried to find the answer and can't. Usually when I can't find an answer, I will go ahead and do it the way I figured and then go from there adjusting things according to how my experiment comes out. But, in this case, should I not use the proper preservative, I could have an outcome that is not good at all , i.e. fungus and all kinds of ickies growing. Would Phenonip be O.K. since this is supposed to be a good all around preservative or should I use two different kinds to protect the oils as well as guarding against any water that may get into the scrub? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

To extend the shelf life of my oils, I add natural Vitamin E. You can also add ROE or GSE. Then, to keep nasties at bay, I add Germall Plus Liquid to my lotions (more water than oil) and to the scrubs (all oil), I add LiquaPar Optima.

I would like to say I am that wise, but actually I am not. Darn it!!! I do have illussion though of being wise. LOL I read it somewhere that I can't remember but I loved it since this is how I try to live my life. Not always so successful at it but I try. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Bunny, now I don't feel so bad. I hate to look for an answer and not find it only to have it pointed out that it right under my nose. KWIM? I will be reading this very thoroughly since I have so much to learn and understand about preservatives. Thanks for posting that. You're awesome Blossom!!! :yay: