Where do Peaks, BCN, Greenleaf, etc get their fragrance oils?

ChandlerJane

There's another thread about the actual suppliers, and, I know that Candlescience, BCN, MC, and some others, get their fragrance oils, at least partly, from Belle Aire, but, it would be interesting to know, for those chandlers who could afford to buy in larger (usually 25+ pound per fragrance) quantities, where these folks get their oils.

I think that Belle Aire has 25pound per fragrance minimums too. Might be mistaken.

As for "trade secrets"...Not really. Remember that this isn't recipes being talked about here...just suppliers. It's only a trade secret until someone finds out, really. You can't patent or copyright a supplier name. Think about that. Now, them not wanting to say is a totally different (and very understandable) story, however, it's not a "trade secret" per se.

Candle Couture: Some suppliers do trademark and patent their FO names. I can assure you that the formula is a trade secret. I am curious, you say that you are just getting into making candles, yet you are pricing pallets of glass, 25#s of FO from manufacturers. It doesn't matter to me, but maybe you should make a few candles, and let us know how they turn out. You confuse me!

I've made a few candles and they turned out just fine, but I do appreciate the advice (that wasn't asked for). Your tone is a bit hostile, don't you think?

As for the other comments, nobody here is asking for formulations, so I don't quite know what your point is with that, or with the FO names. Maybe you didn't have a chance to read the initial question posted by Jane, however, what she requested was information on suppliers, not formulations or trademarks. Again, I'm not sure the purpose of your post, or the origin of your hostility, however, it's not called for, and certainly not appreciated.

By the way, bugtussle, to answer your question, we are a good sized company getting ready to launch (in the next 6-12 months) a candle line, which will carry with it a good deal of financial backing, in terms of marketing and the like. I don't really feel that I owe you this sort of explanation but, since you asked. A pallet for us of glass, or wax, is not a big investment. We run a multi million dollar company, and, "levels" of investment are relative. I'm sure Bill Gates could make a ho hum investment (for him) which would be ASTRONOMICAL (for your or I).

I am going to state, for the second time now, that we have already begun making and testing candles, and it has gone very well. As for the "job" at hand, again, I appreciate your concern, but, I think we can handle it.

May I ask why you seem so hostile towards me? You also didn't address my questions to you on trademarks, and formulations. Where on earth did you gather, from this thread, that this is what I or anyone else, was looking for?

I would kindly ask that you back off, as you seem to be hostile towards me for no apparent reason, and I've done NOTHING to you. It's also slightly rude to give condescending advice, especially when the advice is not sought out in the first place.

By the way, I think you expressed some hostility towards me in another thread, when I asked for help with renaming certain scents. If I'm not mistaken, I indicated that I needed help as I wasn't very original and didn't want them to have the same names as Greenleaf (from whom I bought the oils). Your response was, if I remember, something to the effect of:

"If you want originality why are you asking us"?

I'm paraphrasing, as I don't remember EXACTLY what you said, but I think I'm close. Not sure why you panties seem to be in a bunch but, I would kindly ask that you back off.

Wow. I log on and to my surprise, my thread has a bunch of responses...just not really what I had in mind. I sure didn't mean for this to get out of hand, although I will say, Bugtussle, that I never requested any formulations or anything which would be considered a trademarked or copywritten or trade secret type of thing. I'm not sure why you mistook me to mean that. There is no such thing as a trade secret supplier, if you ask me. Suppliers are fair game for anyone who can afford to purchase in those quantities, and has the required documents (be it business license, or federal tax identification number, or the like) so I do have to disagree with your trade secret comment. It's pretty apparent that formulations would be trade secrets but that isn't really what I was asking though.

Chandler Jane, are you and Candle Couture partners? My "trade secret" post referred to the fact I doubt that Doneen of Bitter Creek or Brenda of Greenleaf or any of the other candle supply owners are going to tell you who they buy their FO's from. Why don't you get together with Couture and help her make some candles. Good night and fragrant dreams!

As a new member of this board I would ask a moderator to step in here. I think this person is way out of line in her insults. I never insulted her and this is totally uncalled for. Your sarcasm isn't really needed either. Obviously, none of them would "spill the beans" which is why the question was posted here. If it were as easy as asking, there would have been no purpose to my question on here. That doesn't make it a trade secret. Your comparing a supplier to a trademarked name or formulation also doesn't apply as they are completely and utterly two different things.

I don't think I've done anything to bring on this barage of insults or the rather nasty attitude. I will, again, as a moderator to step in here. I've been lurking for close to a year, and now that I decided to "take the plunge" someone decides to take out her frustrations (which seem plentiful) on me. Just not fair, and not right.