Yet another Hurricane Question

I get the same ring around the hurricane shells that Wanda was refering to. Today I used R2540 fully refined paraffin wax for pillar molds. It was a sample and the type of wax recommended by the company as the one their customers used for canes. I let my temp. get out of control and it was over 220 deg. I thought that might be the problem. maybe I needed to let my water sit longer before starting. I did the pushing the mold down into the water ahead of time and it was just where we wanted it.

The last/first time I tried making one, I thought I'd just play around with some mottling wax I had, and I thought the mottling was the ring problem.

I don't see any reason to buy any other wax at this time when I have 2 cases of this mottling wax. HOWEVER, I want to REMOVE the mottling effect. I know it can be done but totally forgot what I need to use to accomplish this.

Also. Someone mentioned to Wanda to use UA and Micro, and to that I want to say DUH!!!!! I've never heard of them. Where can I get these things and what do they do??? What about steric acid?

Oh by the way, I put pictures in my canes and so far they look C R A P P Y. he he he.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP Alyce:cry2:

I can say what I want about my daughter in law being a "dumb blonde", lol but I just lit a votive (in votive holder) and put it down into my Hurricane shell. and said SEE THAT RING ?????? She informed me that it was the ring image from the top of the votive holder :yay:

WANDA? COULD THAT BE YOUR PROBLEM TOO???????:P

So now if only someone could help me remove the mottling effect from the wax. I will be a happy camper LOL :shocked2:

Alyce

The reason to buy another wax would be that your 140MP mottling paraffin melts more easily than recommended. The MP should ideally be above 150.

The UA should get rid of the mottling and I think it already has micro in it. Many suppliers carry it but you can try BCN or CandleScience.

Top....I agree with you.. The only way I would do a hurricane with a lower melt point wax is if it has a large diamenter.....like about 6 ". Even then, heat can accumulate and soften the shell. It would be best if you save that wax for pillars and buy some higher melt point wax for hurricanes. You will be happier and have a much better product. Donita

I just checked the MP on the one the company recommended for making hurricanes. its 140 to 145. What were they thinking.

I did get a single pour votive from them with a "congealing" point of 157 to 167. However its recommended for Votives and small pillars. I wonder if that would cause a problem making a hurricane. its very hard and I don't think I'll be able to imbed pictures in it either. very hard to work with, to color and to clean molds afterwards. I really don't like it at all.

So far the canes I'm making will be with the electric specialty bulb and plug in. A low mp wax should be ok for that don't you think? Is that a bad idea too? Until I can find a wax on DPSwax website that would work for canes, I will be lost. I have to use them because I get "free shipping" via my friend picking it up when she visits me.

Eventually, I'll be using votives in my hurricanes and will need a harder wax for that.

So if you think I can use the mottling wax with the 140-145 mp for electric hurricanes. Please let me know how to remove the mottling effect so I can get a smooth unblemished shell.

Thanks to all of you wonderful people:highfive: with your fantastic ideas and help.

Donita, I think it was you who said I didn't need to get the Hold A Mold. You were right!!!!!!!! Its probably much easier your way. Thanks so much:yay:

Alyce

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, My rings in the Hurricane Candles are gone. Thankgoodness!!! I heated the wax to 193, warmed the water in the waterbath, heated the mold with a heat gun. And no more rings. Ordered some powdered mold release--should be here Mon. Can't wait to try the m.r.on my next H.C. Thanks to everyone who helped. I have more questions but will post them at a later date. Doing a show this weekend and am busy with that. good luck to all Wanda

Alyce....I use hurricane wax for my electric hurricanes. They still get a little warm from the bulb. I use 5055 and add micro 180. That is perfect for me. Other waxes don't work well with the micro....mine is perfect. I can make my orbs, seashell candles, flower candles, electric candles, photo embedded hurricanes....all with the same formula. It is perfect. I used other waxes in the past and ran into problems. I don't have those problems anymore...not for years. My was is very clear and I have even had an orb bounce on the floor and not crack....I wouldn't recommend that...lol....but the micro helps to keep it flexible. I need that when I am abusing my wax with heat guns and overdipping.....I also got rid of all bubbles in my wax too. Good luck with your show. Donita

PS...I don't use hold a molds. Bought one many years ago, tried it once...nope...not for me. I use wet paper towels.