Presto pot questions

I have been using the double boiler for my trusty 4786, and the wax has always melted reasonably quickly. However, I have now been bitten by The Pillar Bug, and as this has a higher melt point, and needs to be poured at a higher temp., it is now taking FOREVER for the wax to melt. Is the Presto really noticeably faster? And about what temp. would I need to set it on to reach a wax temp. of 200? (From reading previous posts, it seems you have to set the temp. higher than your desired temp?) Thanks!

Mine seems to run a little hotter than what it reads on the dial so I set mine to 200 to melt it and then turn it down to WARM to sustain the temp.

I can put 5lbs of wax in mine and in a matter of 3 or 4 minutes, its melted so yes, its a great investment!

Thanks all! One more question (which I forgot in my first post:embarasse ) Does the wax cool btween presto and pouring pot so much that you need to give it an extra shot of heat (say on the trusty double boiler!) in order to pour, or will it still be at an acceptable pour temp?

I am a newbie but when I pour from the presto to the pouring pot as long as I have color, fo and containers ready i don't have to heat mine but I keep a pot of boiling water on the stove to clean things as I am working anyways so if I need a little heat I stick the bottom of my pot in there for a few!! You will love your presto!! I do mine and can't imagine waiting on the stove again!! Good luck!!

Thanks all! One more question (which I forgot in my first post:embarasse ) Does the wax cool btween presto and pouring pot so much that you need to give it an extra shot of heat (say on the trusty double boiler!) in order to pour, or will it still be at an acceptable pour temp?

I keep my thermostat set slightly higher than my ideal pour temp because yes, it does cool down a bit by the time I am ready to add the goodies. That way the wax temp is just about right. :)

I use one of those big ol' turkey roasters though, but assuming your heat pot has temperature settings, you could do similar.

I find that my presto pots will send the wax temps soaring if I don't varefully watch the thermometer I clip on the side. Usually its quite fast and I keep the temp lower than the dial on the pot. Haven't had it cool down unless I turn the dial down, if anything the temp on mine goes above the dial temp.

I find that my presto pots will send the wax temps soaring if I don't varefully watch the thermometer I clip on the side. Usually its quite fast and I keep the temp lower than the dial on the pot. Haven't had it cool down unless I turn the dial down, if anything the temp on mine goes above the dial temp.

I have noticed the same thing, I turn mine to 200 to melt, than down to warm. I have 4 pots and just keep them filled, we can make quite a few candles in a short time this way.

Also, mine have spigots, and we love them.

I usually heat my pour pot by giving it a blast with the heat gun for approx. 5-10 seconds. I keep my presto on low...some of the wax I have been using tends to turn quite yellowish if kept heated at about 180 to 190 degrees. I think it just all depends on how warm/cool your surroundings are. I find a significant drop in wax temp if I don't pre-heat my pouring pot.

There is about a zillion time difference between double boiler and presto. Once you go with a presto you will never go back. I usually pre heat my pour pot for transferring or as everyone says, there will be a significant drop in temp. Sometimes when I do this, it takes forever for the temp to drop enough for me to add my fo. Kind of a delicate balancing act. If your pour pot is just a little warm, you can pour your hot wax, add your color/fo and stir and stillhave time to check temp and stir some more, befor final pour.