New to CP...

scntdwik

You shouldn't even attempt swirls or layers until you have the basics of soapmaking down and have successfully made a few batches! I mean, it probably can be done, but it will be much less stressful for you to go plain and simple at first.

Have you been yet to www.millersoap.com? I suggest reading up there, then finding an easy peasy recipe, like Bunny's castille, to try.

Personally, I think that someone new to CP soaping is going to have her hands full just learning how to identify trace, learning how to work with lye, etc. :wink2: Swirls and layers, because they involve knowing what stage of trace you've achieved (so you can best time your coloring, swirls and layers), will come later. I'd recommend starting off with a simple single-colored batch so you can get the feel for the various stages of trace -- thin (light), medium, and heavy (thick). ;)

Hope that helps. And happy soaping! It's tons of fun!

I did a TON of research before I made my first CP, built a recipe, revised it, revised it some more, etc etc. I made "clouds" on my first batch and was shocked beyond WORDS when it turned out. It wasn't perfect, or even all that pretty but I sure did have fun doing it. I wouldn't suggest layering but if you use a slow moving FO you could probably do a swirl. Just don't expect perfection. Have fun!

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. You might have a stunning first swirl or layered soap, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. Layers actually aren't too hard, if the batter is thickly traced enough, but swirls sometimes take a little practice to achieve. :)

Happy soaping! Saponificate on! :yay: