Very discurrages beginner.. looking for advice

hello all

I have been "trying" to mkae candles for about 2 months and I am having all kinds of problems. any advice would be great.

Here are the problems I am having.

1. no hot throw and very little cold throw

2. if I allow my candles to cool at room temperature they have air bubbles (so I cool them in the freezer and the air bubbles seem to go away)

3. keeping my wic centered

4. getting the wax to melt all the way to the edge of the jar

I make votives and 8oz and 12oz jar candles

I have been reading thei forum for about 3 months now and have found it has helped alot. Just can't seem to figure out where I am going wrong :cry2:

I'm even newer at this than you are, so I don't think I'll be much help. I blame everything on the wick, that seems to be the source of all my troubles... lol.

I know from reading other posts that the people who can help you out will want to know the type of wax, fragrance oil, wick, etc. that you are using.

Good luck to you. Hope you get the answers you need.

Ok- first let's eliminate the freezer cooling. :wink2:

What kind of wax, wick and FO are you using?

Plus the type of your container and wick size/type please. FO supplier and percentage.

This would help greatly. I need to see your formula.

I can tell you the wick is too small - and I need to know how long you burn this candle per session.

Yep.

To conquer the hot throw and cold throw problem, how much FO are you adding? Are you adding anything other than FO? If so, what? How much?

What kind of candles are the air bubbles showing up on? I somehow doubt that a cool environment is the cure all here. Bubbles can show up for various reasons, but here's where knowing what kind of wax could possibly help AND how you're pouring these candles. For instance, if you pour too fast to make votives, you can get the air bubbles. If you pour too slow and too cool you can get them. If you're using a wax that's a known culprit of trapping water in it, that could cause problems. If you're using wick pins in your votives and pouring too fast that could cause problems. IF you are pouring too hot that can cause air bubbles. (lots of variables)

Keeping your wick centered. What are you currently doing? Are you securing your wicks in a jar? If so, with what? Are you leaving those wicks free standing or curling around something? Are you guessing on votives and just dropping the wick in when it has developed a slight film. Here's something to think about. As wax cools it shrinks and will pull on the wick. If you aren't using wick pins for certain applications, well you need to be more attentive to that wick and constantly give little tugs to keep it center. If you're doing jars, well you need to be more attentive to it and keep pulling it to center, especially if you aren't securing it to your jar or you aren't wrapping it around some kind of rod.

Getting the wax to melt all the way to the edge of the jar. Sounds like a wick problem and you need to switch it out for something else. Not knowing what your wick is or how long you are burning your candle to try to achieve a full melt pool makes it a random guess as to what your problem is. HTH!

why not cool in the freezer the air bubbles go away and the candle looks good when I take it out of the mold?

I am using parrafin wax and those color chips you get. I got them off e-bay.

I used candle wiz scent and yaley pre-tabbed wics for my votives. I also used pre-waxed yaley wiccing for my jars.

why not cool in the freezer the air bubbles go away and the candle looks good when I take it out of the mold?

I am using parrafin wax and those color chips you get. I got them off e-bay.

I used candle wiz scent and yaley pre-tabbed wics for my votives. I also used pre-waxed yaley wiccing for my jars.

Because you are inviting the presence of condensation to get into you wax, plus about a dozen other factors. Its okay to pop the candle in the freezer AFTER is it completely cool for easy removal. Not filled with hot paraffin.

There are 100 types or more of paraffin, please be more specific.

I would recommend buying a starter kit from an actual candle supplier on the web. Peaks would be a great start.

I need to know the exact size of the wicks, and the TYPE of jar.

sorry like I said really new.... I got the wax from my craft store it didn't have a lable on it

the jars I am using are 8oz mason and 12oz square glass jars

to be honest not sure the size of the wic I can't find where I put the package at the moment

I feel your pain, I thought this would be easier, too. I bought a lot of stuff on ebay. I know my soy wax is working great for me and I know where to get more. Can I tell you the name of it? NOPE. Got a bunch of wicks, I know they're zinc. Do I know the sizes? NOPE.

Just know you're not the only one who's confused. I've read this board and asked questions and, most importantly I poured a few (some BAD) candles. It gets easier, and less confusing. Have fun. I know I am, confusion and all!!

You have came to the right place for guidance. :wink2:

I really cannot give you much direction, I am sorry. There are far too many variables to consider with these mysterious supplies. I would suggest doing alot of reading here- there is a plethora of tips and tricks for candlemaking.

I also would suggest investing in a starter kit from a reputable online supplier. That would be most beneficial to you. Usually they include the container/mold, FO/dye and wicking needed for that specific application and detailed instructions.

www.peakcandle.com

If you have any questions- feel free to ask.

Hi again. Just wanted to add after you've done the research and decided which wax/wick/fo/dye you'd like to try, check the classifieds on here. You can get some starter supplies for a good price, not get ripped off on shipping and this makes your testing much less expensive. If you don't see what you're looking for, do an ISO (in search of). That's how I got my sample wicks and a whole bunch of fragrance oil samples.

I second the idea of getting a starter kit from a reputable supplier! Since you don't have enough experience to know which ones are good, ask us! Or do some searching and reading in the fragrance section, etc. Someone recommended Peak. I agree that they are top-notch in both quality and service. :)

Hang in there, hun! It's hard to get consistently excellent throw from craft store supplies. I'd recommend ordering some goodies online. HTH!

I know it's hard being a newbie...so, so much to learn. The first order of business would be to know the type of wax you're using, the type and size of wick you're using, and to use quality fragrance oils and dyes...and additives, if necessary. The best way to learn how to make a good candle is with a starter kit and lots of reading on this forum. The kit will have everything figured out for you all ready but at least you will know what it is that you are actually using, because there are so many different types of wax and wicks out there. Many of these perform very differently from each other so unless we know exactly what you are using, no one will be able to help you with your questions. This craft can be very confusing, so start with the kit and go from there. We're here to help you whenever you're ready. Good luck!

I third the idea of buying a kit or supplies from a reputable supplier. Craft store candle supplies will not give you the quality of candle you are looking for. Waxes for containers and votives require addictives, the craft store wax is most likley straight paraffin. Without these addictives, your not going to get a good throw. I could not find any information on Candle Wiz, I am assuming you got it from the craft store as well? A good quality of FO will make all the difference in your finished product. And alot of times its even cheaper then the little bottles of FO you buy at the craft store, especially if you are buying a few ounces at a time.

Are the air bubbles appearing on your votives or jars? please please stop cooling them in the freezer, you are going to have issues there. There are alot of other methods that will saftley eliminate air bubbles such as pouring temp, relief holes and chaning times between initial pour and repour.

Good luck.

Melanie

Welcome.

I started with a starter kit from Peaks.(icon over to the right) It even comes with complete directions. They have three to choose from votives, pillars, and tins. When you get this down then it is easier to branch out to other types. I would pick one kind to start with.

Good luck and if you have any questions please ask.

What you need to do is get with a good quality source of supply for your wax, scent, wicks, and information. When I got started, I found Natures Garden in Ohio to be extremely helpful. Call or E-mail Dreama. She's the manager there. Another good source is Candles and Supplies in Pennsylvania.

I'm currently using Astorlite J-50 wax for containers, and Astorlite 6228 for votives and pillars, and various suppliers' fragrance oils and wicks.

A couple good suppliers will straighten out most of your problems, because they will all give pretty good advice. The rest you can learn on your own with help right here.