Outdoor show/bad weather ?

Georgia

My first show of the year is scheduled for this weekend. It is outdoors at the county fair ground. Scattered showers is predicted. (This is Cincinnati area - could be sunny or torential down pours). Does anyone have any tips for a bad weather show besides side flaps?

I live in the Cincy area as well, and the show I do in May is 3 days outdoors, we always have at least one day of rain. Make sure you have weights for your tent, all four sides. You can get concrete mix and get $1 buckets from $1 store and mix and fill, hang from tent or it could go bye bye. Also, take plenty of tarps for the top of your tent (get those plastic clips to secure with) and have a few tarps to cover your product with if you leave it there, if not still cover your displays, will save you a bunch of headaches. Make sure no product is left on the ground in boxes etc.

I live in N. KY and I am hating the forecast for this weekend but hoping for good weather in 3 weeks :cheesy2:

Thanks, elle. I know you are in this area. Come out and see me at the Grant County fair grounds this Saturday! I'll be the soggy chandler! I intend to visit you at Maifest - I think you are brave for doing such a huge festival! I'm sure I must have seen you last year, but this year I'll be paying attention!

I'll figure out some weights for my tent. I have a tarp - I'll add it to the pile to load in the car. Thanks for the tip!

Ha...Georgia, I am having 2 booths at Maifest this year. I think someone should check me into the psych ward.

I will be down from the goose girl fountain (booth A) and down from the tower clock, across from the Struedel Haus. (Booth B)

Please do stop by and introduce yourself and take my temp while you are there ( I will probably be at Booth A)

Michelle

PS-Can't come to Grant Co. this weekend, would love to come sometime, already have a way to full weekend. GOOD LUCK!

Well side flaps (even though you said besides that); awning; double water jugs to keep your tent planted should a wind kick up ... and don't put the boxes on the floor lol! Oh, hope you aren't on ground or you might need some hay or broken down boxes so peeps feet don't get wet. And a big smile because it wouldn't surprise me if it rained that several people stepped in to stay out of the shower.

Another thought ... (can you tell we got caught in a couple of rain showers lol) ... COVER THE LABELS with something. A slab of clear packing tape might be a saviour. (And you won't have to redo some 70 odd labels later in life) ...don't know what you're packaging is, but might be a good idea to close any holes to help keep the water out. And if water gets in them, ummmm dry them on a table with more than a layer of newsprint etc. (Wet candles can and often will stain a table when drying out.)

We bought three hoola hoops and put them on the top portion of our tent on the inside (as in you look up and see hoola hoops) and wedge them underneathe the frame to keep the water from gathering on the top of the tent and making it too heavy. This will put the top of the tent in a fully stretched out position so that the water runs off of the top and doesn't puddle and drip on your head all day or make it so heavy with water that it sags down.

Also....brings extra tarps like mentioned to cover all of your candles because if it is raining sideways it will get all the candles wet and that is a PITA.

This isn't funny, but seriously we bring a roll of toilet paper because it seems that if it is an outdoors show and there are porta potties, they always run out of toilet paper. That could be a problem. Oh yeah...and a clothes pin for your nose...LOL!!!

HTH

-Denise

Recommend using a minimum of 8 heavy weights,(40 lbs each) for each tent.At street fairs when I can't stake my tent I use more weight. Fix them to the top horizontal bar using a thick rubber shock cord you can find at hardware stores. If the wind kicks up, lower your tent a few notches and adjust cord. Always bring lots of cardboard for your floor. Like to wrap excess inventory in a tarp or two off the ground. Bring lots of patience because it will come in handy.

Best of shows

Ron

I will agree on the weights for wind. A gal had a booth next to ours last summer and she made beautiful stained glass art. She had them hung on hangers that were attached to her canopy all around. I am sure you can picture the results when the wind picked up her canopy and dumped it on the ground and into our canopy. We were o.k., but her beautiful pieces were in pieces.

Along the hula hoop route, we use swim noodles for the same thing. :) We just cut them to fit and use it to push the canopy up a bit to avoid the rain collecting on the top.

My husband is "weight obsessed" when it comes to my tents! I use two 10x10 tents placed up next to each other. For each leg, my husband has taken 6 inch PVC pipe and filled it with cement. I would guess he cut the pipes to about three foot lengths? There is a PVC cap at the bottom and on the top of the pipe he has placed one of those heavy duty metal spiral dog spikes that is sunk down into the cement. They are the kind that screw into the ground and then you can hook your dog's leash on it. He then secures bungee cords to the dog spikes, wraps them around the legs of the tent and hooks them to the upper bars. They are super heavy and stay out of people's way since they are tall and thin. At night if I am doing a two day show, I have two five gallon buckets filled with cement and the same spikes. When I am closing up for the night, I put them in the middle of my tent and secure them to the middle upper portion of the center of the tent with safety straps. I just don't think my tents are going anywhere. :) Those things are SO dang heavy, but I have seen so much damage to people's tents before. It is well worth the extra insurance!

Don't worry about the rain just make sure you have weights for your tent. The best show I ever did was in the rain.;) I mean it really rained we were getting 4 inches of rain an hour.:mad: :mad: :mad: It was hell but it mad people come in the tents.