Stearine vs Stearic

Hello. Just joined the board today after lurking for a long time. I have learned a lot from lurking but had to ask if there is a difference between the two? I grabbed a bag of stearine at Michaels the other day thinking I was grabbing Stearic acid. Can't really find any information on the difference between the two. Thought maybe some of the illustrious members of this fine board might be able to shed some light.

Edited to say I just found the answer in another post. According to that they are the same.

It took a while before I had this sorted out. I think I have it now.

Stearin and stearic acid are different but related things. Stearin is a triglyceride of stearic acid (glycerin plus 3 stearic acid molecules). Stearic acid without the glycerine is a "free fatty acid". Both can be derived from animal and vegetable fats, but stearin is a softer and less brittle substance that you can actually make candles out of. Stearic acid is the candle additive we normally use.

Problem is, stearic acid and stearin are sometimes used interchangeably in the context of candle additives. Basically you bought the right thing under the wrong name.