Any Soap Crayon Makers?

Alajane

I bought my granddaughter a set of soap crayons at Target last weekend and her parents can't get her out of the bathtub!! I told them I thought I could make some crayons for her but now that I think about it, I can't figure out how to get the colors deep enough for crayons? I have on hand M&P soap in white and clear and liquid soap colors. Is this what I need or is there a special kind of colorant that will color soap darker but not color the tub??!!

Also, where can I get molds for crayons?

TIA,

Jane

I used the tube ice cube trays from walmart. The ones that are made to make sports bottle ice cubes... I think it ran about $1.50 or so for the tray.

As for colors I dont know this answer but someone will!!

Thanks, Sherie. I haven't gotten dark colors with liquid in M&P, but I guess I may have just not used enough. I was just afraid that if I used enough to make a bright color, it would stain the tub. I guess I should try it soon before my kids move into the house they're buying!! (Try it out in the old tub, huh??)

I could be wrong but I think they are water based so the M&P colors should not stain your tub or grandchildren. You might just make a small sampe (say using a dixie cup) and color as dark as you'd like and then throw it in the tub and swirl it around in the water to see. Comet or OxiClean should get it if looks like it's going to stain. Is your tub porcelan?

I used some colors I got from WSP but all I could get were pastels.... hoping my new colors I got from Terri might give me bolder colors. No problems with staining the tub, but a problem with one little boy that wouldnt let his "crayon" go and just carried it around all day sniffing it! lol (was scented JS Bazooka Bubble Gum) The worst part of making these is sharpening them... my hands were so sore the next day! lol

How DO you sharpen them? Just using a knife or is there some kind of sharpener? I figure that since I'm just making them for family use (and the child is only 18 months old), that I probably won't bother sharpening--I'm sure after she uses them a few times they're probably flat on the ends anyway. That's the way I remember my own children using crayons!

P.S. Sherie, I wasn't ignoring your response yesterday--I left work and forgot to check back last night. Thanks for the help.

Jane

jwahlton, your picture is so amazing--the crayon labels and boxes are so realistic. Do you make your own boxes? I'm just wondering--it looks like much too much work, so I don't figure I'll sell these, just want to make them for DGD.

Jane

That is a lot like rebatching. I just use M&P

True... for when I make them I use m&p but the older kids really liked grating up the soap... just have to be very careful, and make sure the kids are old enough....

And the younger kids liked mushing up the soap with their hands... deffinatly not a way to make them to sell or give as a gift BUT.... the kids loved making them!!! plus this way theres no heat so no one will get burnt...ask me how I learned that one lol It always ends up being me that gets burnt

• 2 months later...
jwahlton, your picture is so amazing--the crayon labels and boxes are so realistic. Do you make your own boxes? I'm just wondering--it looks like much too much work, so I don't figure I'll sell these, just want to make them for DGD.

Jane

Sorry, just saw this. Yes I make my own boxes and labels. Thank you!